1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by roger miller, Jul 5, 2006.

1. roger miller

roger miller LawnSite Member

Is there such a thing as bee repellent? i have gotten stung a lot lately and usually spray with off but that isn't stopping them. I know they are probably mad but I thought maybe there was something you guys might know of to keep them off me.
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I actually called a Pharmacist one time and asked this question. His educated? response was tada! "Stay away from them" Nobody likes a smart butte Pharmacist:rolleyes:
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i hate i hate i hate bees i will go out of my way in what ever (safe from being attacked) way i can to kill all bees
  4. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of bees?

Only thing that has ever come after me are wasp ;)

The mowers disturb their hive and look out....

Might try to cash in on hive removal... not only is it going to help the customer, you wont have to worry so much. Simple little add on service.

All Clear
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Really, I had a customer call an exterminator for some yellow jackets and they charged them over 100$.
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Roger, we just spent 3 days in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Hiked up Clingmans dome, Grato Falls, and white rafted the upper pigeon. I don't know of any spray that would elimate your problems. Good Luck!!!
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Dang!!! I gotta learn that business, just gotta figure out the ecologically safe equivalent of gasoline, then pour it down the hole omg what a profit for what, 5 minutes work?

hmmm, lessee, how's this sound:
    Wasps, Elimination of Wasp Nests

Wasps that build paper nests on or in our homes, barns, place of business or other structures are the subjects of this article. These stinging insects feed on a variety of items including insects, which (in the overall cycle of things) makes them predators of potential pests and therefore beneficial - until they get too close to us and our families. Once this happens, they become a pest that needs dealing with in a safe manner.

These Vespids build their nests in areas (in many cases) that are just too close to humans for us to ignore. When this happens, there are a couple of basics that will limit the possibility of getting stung while eliminating the wasps and removing their nests.

Wasp, hornet or yellowjacket elimination should always be done at dusk or dark. As it begins to get dark, these stinging pests are generally at rest. During this period you will get a better kill, since the wasps are not foraging for food; they are all on their nest. Being at rest, there is far less chance of getting stung.

Certain aerosols are designed specifically for this job; they are called Wasp Freeze. This aerosol shoots a stream of insecticide far enough to reach wasp nests attached to eaves. Never use Wasp Freeze indoors! The material in a wasp freeze is a direct kill, with no residual. For long lasting insecticide power that helps prevent re-infestation of wasps and other bugs, use a wettable powder or microencapsulated insecticide. These types of insecticides not only last longer but are usually made up of synthetic pyrethroid technology which has a better effect on wasps, hornets or yellow jackets. Of all the synthetic pyrethroids, Cypermethrin has the best knock down of wasps, bees, yellowjackets. Cypermethrin is the active ingredient in Demon and Cynoff insecticides.

ohhhh btw... cynoff is $82 / quart... bet you need 2 b licensed!
  8. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Well i was thinking more along the lines of a water hose and ext. pole to knock down the hive. I do it all the time, haven't been stung in yrs. Once the hive has been removed most bees look else where, some come back and start to rebuild but hey payup charge for those....

All Clear
  9. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

Apply some pheromones. :laugh:
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Its called soap and water. THey breathe through their legs and suffocate when sprayed with a heavy dose of soap and water. A school district carpernter was often employed to dispose of bee swarms for the school I worked at, he was abee keeper in his spare time. The pest guys would gingerly go towards a clump of migrating bees and he simply took their pump sprayer away and went to work drenhing the bees and they fell dead on the ground. If you are being aggressively attacked there is most likely a hive near so beware. As I was told almost all bees now are Africanizied to some extent because it is the dominant gene. They are considerably more aggressive in defending their hives. Good luck.