1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

!@#$ bees!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 7, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Was blowing off a driveway today and out of nowhere bee attaches itself right above my eye and gets me. Glad i had my glasses on or else he may have been in my eye which would have been even worse. I'm glad my dad was there because i'm allergic and so is he so just in case something happened fast, he'd be there. I mowed two more before calling it a day once the swelling started up. Now the swelling is rediculous and is hard to see, it's so annoying!! I usually have bee stuff in the truck but my tool box is out of the truck being painted. My day for ya!!
    mike-

2. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, that blows! I saw your away message on AIM and knew something was wrong. I figured you had already posted a thread on here explaining the story. Hope you get some medicine to help with the swelling! -Mitch-

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I remember last season i was mowing one of my properties and then trimming along the driveway. Minding my own business when a bee stings me, it killed. I turned around and there was a bunch of them flying around all mad. they were bumble bees and had a nest in the ground. thankfully the customer was home and offered me some ice. Havent been stung this year and hope it doesn't happen. those little suckers will ruin your whole day.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I was trimming some shrubs last year at my house. I had previously eaten lunch at McDonalds and had some coke left in a cup with a straw. Well, I went to take a drink and there was a bee in the straw. Little bugger stung me on the tip of my tongue. You talk about pain and swelling.:cry:

5. mcwlandscaping

Besides benadryl, anyone know of any good meds to take to reduce the swelling?

DLCS, people stories like that are the reason i never use a straw durring the summer time for anything outside.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Funny thing is I before I took that drink, I thought to myself, I hope there isn't a bee in here.:hammerhead: LOL I've had them go in a Pepsi can before but you can normaly here them in there before you take a drink.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Trimming some Canadian Hemlock trees last week I sliced through a hornet's nest built inside the branches. Thank God I wasn't on my 10' step ladder. As it was, the inning ended at Hornet's 3, Rod 0. Came back with my 25' spray can and evened the score that evening. :clapping:

8. mcwlandscaping

Well, my eyes is swollen shut....this BLOWS!!!!!!!

9. koop

koop LawnSite Member

I am with you on bee hatred. I get stung every year. Three years ago I was sitting in a truck with open window and giant hornet stings me right over the eye. Baking powder mixed with water to a paste and applied fast kept swelling down. Benadryl pill took away the "punched in the eye" feeling.

Last year one gets me on the calf while bush hogging then two hours later, while walking through tall grass, another one gets me in the exact same spot on my leg.

I HATE BEES!!!!

10. fargoboy

fargoboy LawnSite Member

have you tried herion? doesn't do much for the swelling but you forget everything else. Go to the doctors, they have a whole lot of anti-inflametory drugs that they can use.