Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Blevins, May 6, 2008.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran over a nest of BEES in the ground today! With the drought last year there wasn't any and now they are here this early? What's up with this sh%t! Anybody else seeing alot of bees already?
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Honeybees or yellow jacket wasp?
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

doing hedges today, bees were all in the shutters next to the hedges, made the job that much more fun
  4. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i hate bees and wasps>!!!!!
  5. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i have 1 job and the owner has a huge dog house and there are always bumblebees swarming it. so far they havent bothered me though.
  6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Yellow jackets.
  7. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't seen any yellow jackets yet, but I have seen a lot the wasps in the hedges I have been trimming lately. I HATE bees and wasps..some kind of phobia you might say. Spiders, snakes, problem. If a wasp comes out at me from a bush, I'm running in circles and swinging my arms around. I jumped of a ten foot ladder into an bunch of azaleas once when I hit a nest in a gutter. I'm sure getting stuck in the a** by azalea branches hurt much worse than any bee stings would have. It's really funny as hell. I really don't understand why I'm like this since I have only been stung once by any kind of bee. You should see some of the looks I get from people walking by. If I ran over a nest in the ground I would probably just leave the mower and go home.
  8. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Bees are not that bad, wasps I hate. I already stopped counting stings this year.
  9. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

don't go killing honey bees...they are at an all time low and the plants aren't being pollinated as much...
  10. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Ground hornets are the worst. The sound of a blower really makes them angry. And they always nail you in groups.