Bees

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by queen of spades, Apr 26, 2013.

1. queen of spades

queen of spades LawnSite Member

May be taking on a job clearing an old stump pile and stand of bamboo where there is known to be wasps. A year ago I was overcome with a small swarm of wasps near the property while bush hogging.

Would using a machine with an enclosed glass cab provide protection from a swarm if I ran into a nest? Thought I rember seeing Chris climb down off a pile when he dug up a bee hive last year, and he was in one of the volvos - not sure if a glass was broken or if the cabs just don't provide a good barrier between operator and pain.

The wood pile is large as is the bamboo stand. Doubt I'd be able to pre-emptively exterminate hives due to not knowing where all they are. No burning is allowed in the county, so it's either do this now or maybe wait till next winter.

Will an enclosed cab be enough to keep the stingers away?

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, and I always carry a few cans of brake cleaner along and spray a full can into a bee's nest, that kills them faster than anything else will.

3. Danny Boy

Danny Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Yes for sure, bees and wasps are fun when you have a cab, go for it:)

4. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Have someone sit in the cab and spray water at it for awhile. See if it's any openings. Shouldn't be

5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

bees are in decline across much of north america. We need them. If they are true bees, there should be people willing to come and get them for free. I see signs up here and there and I actually met a beekeeper who comes and gets large hives. I think they're a little nuts but they are providing a valuable service. Might be worth a shot and do something good for environment at the same time and save any bystanders from attack.

6. queen of spades

queen of spades LawnSite Member

Yep yep, I plant clover in my yard & around the garden to give the honeybees something safe to snack on.

What got me last year wasn't honeybees, it was some kind of wasp or hornet.. about an inch long if that. Looked kinda like white & black yellow jackets. A few got me and they weren't as painful as jacket stings.

Funny story about that.. I was almost done mowing the pasture and saw a little stand I missed on the way back to the trailer. Put it in R, backed up a few feet, then noticed a few flies buzzing around. Started feeling pain and saw that the flies were wasps/hornets. They were swarming out from under the bush hog. They were attacking the cutter & wheel so I thought I could just turn the machine off and walk away a few hours later when it would be dark. Ha. they were on me like white on rice. Missed pushing the throttle all the way in so it sat there running with the cutter spinning of their nest. They were PISSED. Came back after a while with my truck and a chain.. snuck up to the loader bucket, hooked the chain and pulled the tractor forward about 30 yards. Sat in my truck for a bit till the coast was clear.. pulled the tractor out of harms way. Had a half dozen stings. Hate those things.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Those are Yellow jackets and they are not good for anything except dieing.LOL They do not pollinate either.

8. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

20 stings was the final selling point for me getting an enclosed cab.

9. excav8ter

excav8ter LawnSite Member

I peeled the top off of an underground bees nest several times, first was on my ROPS only D4C, the last few were in my fully enclosed Taki TL130 and SR135. They only got me a few times on the dozer, luckily, I think they were confused and trying to stay by the nest for the most part. Otherwise it could have been a painful day.

10. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

most I had was over 40 stings from ground bees/yellow jackets. Nasty little things. My uncle had a severe reaction to just one sting from a ground nest. I got over 40 that we could count. In my pants, under shirt, everywhere. My dog got it too.. Was out mowing high grass with a DR type machine. I set the world record in the 100.. :):weightlifter: