Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Jul 4, 2007.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

The beetles are usually here by 7/4. Has anyone in new england seen any action?
  2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Just wait, they will get there. They are all over the place in s.e. Pa.
  3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

You can keep them all down there, thankx anyway.
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Seen a few Jap beetles over here in western mass. Probably about 10 at one yard. Key word one.

I do have to say that I know of three seperate accounts that have carpenter ants in trees. Had to cut up a oak branch that fell just yesterday. 1 ft diameter branch that was 80% hollow. Another 12" maple, nice young tree, that has ants on it and it is starting to crack up the trunk. Tree is starting to lean and twist.
  5. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I'm just across the Delaware river from SE PA and I've seen maybe a dozen jap. beetles. Last year they completely defoliated my grape vines in about two days. My wife's roses get distroyed every year, and we've got a purple plum they love to strip bare.

This year, everything got treated with imidacloprid (Merit, Admire, Provado). We'll see if it works.
  6. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

I am in Central N.J. and I am just starting to see beetles I figure another week and they will be easy to find.
  7. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

They're really bad in Erie this year, more so than about the last 5 years. We've had a very warm, very dry early summer - perfect for the beetles. In the past if they ate some leaves on lindens or crabs, damage was minor. This year they're defoliating trees. We've begun a spraying program to control the beetles and we're gearing up for grub control later on this summer.