Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Aug 27, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I was mowing at my neighbor's today and somehow his son's bee box got disturbed and I started feeling little bites and didn't realize what it was until I had the mower off and was running for their house by this time, then heard the buzzing and knew what had happened. Got about an estimated 2 dozen stings on me, at least I am not allergic to them. Now I am not afraid of them like I used to be. Oh I just happened to be wearing a Marine Corps shirt that says on the back "Pain is weakness leaving the body" LOL LOL
    What a day.... well so they called their son and he said that something had to of hit the box as this is never a problem before. He said to wait until about 1/2 hr. after dark and it should be fine, so now my TTHP is stuck there for the next hour. Oh well at least I'm OK... they've never ever done this, something must have hit the box from the mower discharge.... Bites on my forehead, arm and neck, one or two on my face and a few other scattered ones.
    They're out there, watch out!!!!
  2. PPLMike

PPLMike LawnSite Member

LOL. That's all I've got. LOL.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I guess it will be a good one to add to my "mower man stories" collection... :dizzy:
  4. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

For others reading this about bees, it is important to know if you and crew members are allergic to bees/wasps etc. IF they say "I don't know" please read on:

A friend of mine was salmon fishing earlier this summer in a somewhat isolated location (we have a few of those in Idaho) and got stung on his leg by a wasp. He had NEVER been bitten before. Ouch, dang, oooh that hurt and some other words. Then he started to feel funny! Then he started to swell! As in his chest and his throat. Within about 10 minutes he was in SERIOUS medical condition.

He knew he needed help so he started to leave. As he walked within less than 50yrds he could no longer walk. Another fisherman had to buddy carry him up the bank, to his truck, and drive to a medical station. Unfortunately the medic station didn't have the treatment. Then a mad dash to the nearsest town (half of it in an ambulance) for a hospital. End of story--- is doc said, "he would've died if the sting was closer to his lungs and neck". And no big fish.

He now carries an "epinephrine kit".

Bottom line is if someone "does not know", it can be wise to get one of these kits. They are available only by prescription, but I'm sure most doctors would be happy to do so for a lawn crew at a much greater risk of bees. And I'm sure there are others on here with similar close calls...
  5. pee on it...........
  6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Who would say somthing like that mate :)
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

He didn't say he got stung by a
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, Always make sure that if a crewmember gets stung, that they let others know. Anaphylactic shock is very serious. One of my employees (wife's nephew) is highly allergic. He got stung several years ago and didn't know he was allergic. He started acting funny w/ in 5 minutes of sting. We rushed him to hospital in 7 mins, right to ER. They looked at him and IMMEDIATELY took him in w/ no info, gave him a shot, hooked him up to IV & EKG, etc... Doc said in less than another 5 mins - he would have been a goner!

oral of story BEE careful;)
  9. An "oral story"...Yeah Baby........

pinnacle mate, does it work on bee stings too?
  10. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Sh*t yeh LGF it'll work on most stings.