Before and After of Landscape job

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Petr51488, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Here are 3 before pics of the job.. And 3 after following it.. What do you think?

before1.JPG

before2.JPG

before3.JPG

2. Petr51488

from NJ

And here are the after pics..

after1.JPG

after2.JPG

after3.JPG

3. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Despite the fact that I hate red mulch you do nice work. Keep it up!

Can you tell us the names of the plants you put in there. Knowing what they are will give us a better idea of what it will look like when they are full grown.

4. Petr51488

from NJ

Lol why do you hate red mulch? I think it looks real nice with that.. BTW.. that was my first landscaping job. I don't really know the names as of now, but i have two evergreens on the outsides, 6 hostas, japanise maple tree in the middle and a few other little flowers. The job total was 400.00

5. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

It is just a personal thing with me. Red occurs in nature very rarely and in my opinion mulch should look like dark rich soil. Red to me just looks a bit fake and contrived. I tend to go for the shredded pine or the Texas Black varieties but everyone has their own preference. You did a nice job for your first time. No offense intended.

As for the plants those hostas will love being shaded by the Japanese Maple when it grows up and the spacing looks pretty good. The maple may be planted a little too close to the house as it matures it will have a 20 foot canopy.

Keep up the good work.

6. Petr51488

from NJ

Thanks. By the time that maple matures their prob not going to be living there anymore and theyll want something else done. I think it turned out real nice. In about a year it will look much better once everything grows.. - peter

7. randallwise

randallwise LawnSite Member

Glad to see you're using this forum to get feedback. Most landscapers don't do that much, so I say you're off in the right direction. Let me suggest you take all the feedback and criticizim you can get from your peers, it goes a long way.

As with any business, keep on learning everything you need to stay competitive. Next to business skills, plant materials and design are important elements to know (in my opinion). One thing that most people think is how easy it is to landscape. You just go to the big-box store, buy some plants, and stick them in the ground. How hard can that be? I feel it's important to educate the client as to WHY we do things, WHY plant selection is important (color, texture, form, soil types, shade v. sun, native, ornamentals, etc.), and why our industry is as important as building contractors, architects, engineers, etc.

So, the comment about the red mulch is good. You have a reason to use it, but don't just use it because you like it, use it because it fits the overall design (colors, style of architecture, natural ecosystem, etc). Vary what you use job-to-job.

BTW, the maple looks like it might be a weeping varitey of a. palmatum, maybe disectum 'Garnet'??? If so, the size is fine for where it is. Shouldn't get more than 8' max, and will take a while to get there.

Good luck, and keep on sharing!

8. GreenscapesofWestMichigan

GreenscapesofWestMichigan LawnSite Member

looks like there is verigated hosta and arborvite(maybe) and blue chip perinnails(flowers) and a boxwood......just trying to lend a hand

Erik

Owner Greenscape of West Michigan

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Did they provide the plants, or did you?

10. Petr51488

from NJ

I provided the plants..