1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

before, or after?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 7, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you were selling a one time service, let's say one tree, or a mulch job, or whatever, something that would only be done one time. do you demand payment, in full, BEFORE you do the job? or, as a businessman and a good one, who would like to deliver the job, see a satisfied customer, then have the bill paid, do u do the job, and get paid upon completion and satisfaction? simply put, before, or after?
  2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

HALF UPFRONT, which will pay for ALL product & expenses & labor incurred in the job. BALANCE UPON COMPLETION...like RIGHT NOW...not mailed in tomorrow.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

One time jobs:If you get "that feeling", you know...they pay in advance of the job. Everyone else, due on completion of said job. Everyone gets a contract regardless. I don't extend credit to anyone until they fulfill their first contract or sign for a yearly agreement.payup
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Half up front, half at completion. The first half cover slightly more than what I will have invested in the project.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Mu contract has a terms of payment section. It is usually half up front and upon completion of job.
  6. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

This is a good one, From time to time it feels risky to take on a new customer
    with a one time job. I just act very polite and professional. If I get a weird feeling about a new client. I will ask for payment upon arrival, then do the work. But thats rare. Most people pay after work is complete,
    If you do your end of the bargin. On installs over $500 I insist on a deposit 3/4 of the bill. thats worked for me all year. people find it convenient too.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You can't compare selling a service to selling merchandise which is what you are trying to do here btw.
    When you order ANYTHING online, whether it be books or cds from amazon.com, or clothing apparel from the Gap, to hair products for your mullet, YOU PAY IN ADVANCE. No one is going to send you their merchandise so you can inspect it first. Can you give me an example of a place online that sends merchandise first, then wants payment? I doubt it.

As for selling a SERVICE for a one time job, yes we get half the payment upfront. It covers the expenses.

Try again, you aren't even close in driving home your point about the lawnsite t-shirt.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

LMAO, I thought I was the only one who knew what Bobby was getting at with this troll.
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Most times he is pretty transparent.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a grass cut, is a PRODUCT. it's a service, but the SERVICE, is our product. orriginally quoted to me by majortom, in private email:" there is no way in hell we'd ask anyone for money in advance. that is just not fair to the customer. i mean, be real, they need to be sure they are satisfied before paying for something. if you get your clients to pre pay, all i can say is, people in jersey are alot dumber than the people in pittsburgh." end of quote. get your story straight....majortom