1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? before starting business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TW5765, Mar 19, 2005.

1. TW5765

TW5765 LawnSite Member

Start getting read for work at 11am.
    I know you shouldn't mow residentials before 8am.
    Can't mow weekends as I am involved with local stock car track.
    Would this time frame in the morning give me enough to mow and make some good money or is the time not there?
    Was looking at a exmark 32"or36" belt fixed deck,1 blower 1 trimmer and 3/4 chevy plow truck(no trailer).
    A friend told me to skip the mowing and just plow.
    What's your opinion?
  2. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

hey fello michiganer, i go to a fire academy in Oshtemo and live in GR
    first off, if you can get any commercial accounts do those early in the morning and do the residential later. this way you can maximize your day
    i see that you dont plan on using a trailer, i wanted to do this to begin with too, only i found that loading my mower woudlve probly killed myself. go up to wayland at Stamm equipment and get yourself a single axle trailer, get thier Load-trail 77"x14', its only $50 more than thier 77"x12' and it has a wrap around tongue (much stronger) its a great trailer for about $1,155.
    on your mower, try to buy hydro, i found a 3 yr. old Great Dane Gateway 52" w/ about 50 hrs. on it for $3,400. pretty cheap and will run much longer than a belt drive
    its going to be tough getting accounts if you dont start to advertise now, its harder than you'd think to break into this business,
    good luck, let me know if you have anymore questions

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Do you mean you start getting ready for another job at 11?

If so, then you have about 3 hours a day, 15 total for the week. That's enough time to get something done. If you were to do this, try to keep the lawns REAL close together to minimize drive time.

You don't HAVE to get a trailer. You could just buy some ramps and put the mower in the truck bed. That's your call, if you want to spend the money for a trailer.