1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

before the zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A+Grounds, Sep 12, 2011.

1. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I was always impressed with the heavy build of these little tractors....just like someone washed a full size tractor in really hot water and it shrank! I also remember seeing my first one and thinking that the steering wheel was almost as big as the tractor! :laugh:

Bet you couldn't wear one out if properly maintained. Nice!
  2. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I'll bet your boss is still enjoying that 20% discount on manicures! :laugh:
  3. Walkerville Group

Walkerville Group LawnSite Member
    from Windsor

Deck was 42 inches. The literature that came with the mower called it a commercial turf management mower. Was going strong when I sold it so it did have the staying power of a commercial unit.
  4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I remember damn near breaking femur bones on these mowers
  5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

We took a yard back in the late 80's and the people had one of those. They tried to get us to use it but I refused. Looked quite a bit older than that one. I could tell the thing was an accident waiting to happen. Told them to keep it in the garage.
  6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

On the other hand the stupid machine didn't cut off every bump you hit because certain manufacturing safety devices either.

I own a Lesco just like this one, it's not even that old, and outfront or not it is a zero turn but I do agree, watch your speed, look out for bumps, and DON'T let that deck drive your knees into the control handles.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  7. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I used them (Goodall), the reverse was barely functional you had to pull it backwards.
  8. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

In the 90's and up, John Deere 200, 300, 400 and F series mowers
    were the most commonly used equipment in my area. Worked very
    well too.

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I was riding around on a 1970's Hechinger riding tractor yesterday. It had a 18hp engine with a 42in deck. The guy that owns it rebuilt it a few years ago.
  10. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I remember in the late 90's or maybe right around 2000 my neighbor bought a lawn business and had a Dixie Chopper and this POS old pistol grip belt drive 32in gravely. The hydros on the dixie sucked, they were really jumpy but I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Before that it seemed like every lawn man in the Tampa area was running a walk behind or out front rider of some kind. For a long time it seemed like around here, Dixie Chopper was what EVERYONE used. Now I'm seeing fewer and fewer of them.