before you started in this field...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 11, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

before you started doing this for a living, how did you view guys who cut grass for a living? me, personally, i thought they were losers, drunks, people who were incapable of holding a "real" job, and guys who were working for peanuts. well, for the most part, my opinion hasn't changed, except for the amount of money there is to be made. so, before you started, what did you think of the lawn guys?
  2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember talking to a guy long ago, before I ever thought of doing this, and he told me about how he took care of peoples lawns. I thought that was dumb.
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I though that they were just like any other person, in fact I still do. I do admit though, between LCO's, Tree services, and roofers, (especially roofers) I've seen some pretty rough lookin' characters....I know, I used to be one of the " shady lookin " tree guys back in my druggie/drinkin' days...
  4. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I thought the same as you Bobby. Thought they couldn't hold a "real" job, so they did this. My attitude has obviously changed now.
  5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I admire those who can do it as their primary source of income. I don't admire those who look like they are doing it for beer money, but I wonder if they are just getting started. When I see an outfit that looks like a new startup and they have decent equipment and nice setups I envy them that they are living my dream. Someday... I'm getting there...
  6. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work for a lawn service and I used to ask questions just for the hell of it and he would say why do you ask are you going to start your own lawn business one day and I would say hell no there is no way im gonna do this for aliving, and I meant it and now look at me LoL my own lawn service and a degree in computer science LoL
  7. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I think it is a great buisness. I like mowing grass. I do think it is funny when people defend undercutting other people. For profit?!!!!!! I have a full time job w/benifits so I don't need to "underbid" anyone. IMO look at the wanna bees, not the part time guys.
  8. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Bobby- sorry that didn't answer your question. yea............your right..........
  9. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

sorry...that didn't answer it either...... yes they are for the most part just lawn boys.
  10. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Before I started, I didn't think I understood the difference betweem somone who was mowing the lawn, and the business owner. I always thought, "anyone can mow a lawn" which may be true. It is now that I see running the business is where a little more brains, patience, willingness comes into play.
    I love the fact people take me as being stupid sometimes. I don't say a word to change their mind, just walk away knowing better. :D