1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Began flyer distribution last night

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chevyman1, Jan 13, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

And won my first customer of the year from it! They called me aty my job at lunch, said we already have someone, but your flyer said you can beat or match pricing and quality....took a look at lunch, 1/4 lot for a $500,000 home....they we paying $40 a cut for what will take 1 person around 20 minutes to do....I walked around saw how small it was, told them $35, and signed the contract...now I can try and mow around that neighboorhood. They want it cut 2x a week, and need everything mulched in the spring....sweet...beat those streets guys!

SIRCAESAR LawnSite Member

Chevyman, i will have to try that on my flyer, thanks for the tip! I am excited for you, I plan to start my flyer distribution as soon as I get my equipment, I want to start with a 36" walkbehind, echo edger and stihl trimmer and blower. I saw your post at the right time, because I am currently designing my postcard flier.. I may do it on a glossy postcard.. good luck to you, keep doing what your doing..
  3. chevyman1

thanks man, good luck to you too...one piece of advice...don't lower your prices too much, and even if the money is a little hard at first, investing in a 48" instead of the 36" saves you tons of time, and the bigger motor will cut cleaner....36" mowers are in my opinion a couple waste of time
  4. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would have told them $40 per cut.
  5. ckf

ckf LawnSite Member

Be creful with the price match/beat thing. I would put something in there about comparable services. If they are only offering cut/trim/blow and you are offering that and more, you could find youself in hot water. Other than that, congrats!
  6. FineScapes

FineScapes LawnSite Member

Be careful because when you go up 10% they will find someone else. Congrats though good luck this season.
  7. JPS

JPS LawnSite Member

Just a note on my first customer. She wanted a bid because she didn't like the current people. Corner lot $300,000 home on golf course. I quoted $30 on a weekly basis, she said she was paying $20 before I said I want to do business, but the min. would be $25. I mowed it for 6 months and she loved how good we were cutting she gave me a raise to $30. Sometimes if you explain your quality and not quanity you get alot more respecting customers.

P.S. I started PT and had to quit my FT job because within 2 months I had 60+ accounts on a weekly basis. Stay foucused and bust tail and it will be a win win situation.
  8. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I handed out 400 flyers on Sunday with my 4 friends.
    0 calls so far :(
  9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What if another guy has a "we'll beat anyone's price" flyer? They'll get it done for 30 bucks.
    I got my first new customer yesterday, too. I'm getting more than the last guy, and today, I'll try for the people across the street.
    I've got asales pitch that puts me ahead of the people who do this as a second job.
    Crawdad, highballer payup
  10. chevyman1

First off, I'm a sales manager so I used that to my advantage for my side venture....These people from what I could tell had a lot of weight in the neighborhood and literally the smallest lawn on my schudule in the spring. I don't just hand out flyers; I personally go to door to door and try to hand things to people first and strike up a conversation. I then ask a couple of questions about their current situation, and play off that. I could sense they were price-sensitive because they know how small their yard is, but after a minute, we were talking about flowers and mulch, which more than made up the lower price on the lawn. Trust me I don't underbid too much, 'cause I don't want to give up that money either. But, some people are scumbags around here and are screwing people, that's where I do help people out, gain customer loyalty and a base.