Begining to Landscape

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MattsMowing3535, Jan 3, 2007.

1. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Everyone!
    I am going to be 16 years old in the spring and plan to start landscaping more instead of just cutting grass. I am registering my business with the state and doing all other paperwork I need to! I am trying to read as many books as I can to help me learn the basic's of landscaping and ruining a landscaping business. I plan on being solo for the first couple years (I have to be basically). I am trying to find things that I can do with little/no experience this spring. I will lay as much mulch as I can and do some maintenance possibly. I will also be working part time for a landscaper my mom knows. Hopefully he will be able to teach me some of the basic's of landscaping. I am wondering if there is anything that you think I should know or do to help my business run smoothly. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I have started setting goals and working out my costs of starting landscaping. My biggest goal is to be able to afford a used skid-steer by august. I am looking at the bobcat 773 as a possibility are these good machines? I also like the john deere machines.
    If you can help me out in any way that would be great!
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend more time studing and go to college. That way you can get a real job in an a/c office and look out the window when it is 102 degree and laugh at a guy like me that has no education sweating like hell. I respect you for wanting to work but at 16 please take my advise, you will thank me when your my age. Good luck to you.
    Mike

3. MattsMowing3535

I love working outdoors and plan to go to collage for landscaping. I would much rather be working outside when it is 102 then inside any office. I think I would end up quiting in the first week of haveing an office job. Its just not me. . .

4. Mike33

Can say i didnt try! 773 is a good machine i own a 185 just different #s now. If your going on 16 how are you going to get a business lic.? If your landscaping now stick with that and keep your overhesd an min, Lawn mower, hand tools, etc.You can make a lot of money that way. If you own q bobcat you have to haul it around, as you stated your age you prob. dont have a drivers lic. And you will need a cdl lic. which i think recquires an age of 18 or 21. You cant drive a bobcat across town or on freeway at 5 mph. Stick with cutting grass, raking leaves and small jobs no one else will do, you will make a lot of money. Then please take my advise, go on to college and get the piece of paper on the wall. I messed up at your age with a fad of painting cars. Then it was to late.
    Mke

5. MattsMowing3535

Is there anyone that wants to give me some advice on how to run it what to do and things? I have had alot of people tell me not to. I love landscaping and really don't care what they say but I do respect that they think it is hard or difficult and I understand. Just really want advice for how to run one and stuff not why not too. . .

6. Mike33

I think everyone is giving you good advise by not posting anything.
    Mike

7. MattsMowing3535

so are you trying to tell me that everyone thinks I need to figure it out on my own or forget the idea. OR are you trying to tell me that no one wants me t obe a landscaper becuse it is some type of horrible idea? Also thank you for the advice you did give me. I try to do the things no one wants to, but at some point I don't want to do them just like everyone else.

8. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I dont hve a problem with you landscaping, and as far as having to have a cdl to haul a skid steer, maybe in Maryland, but not in Pa. My only advice right now is to stay small and learn as much as you can from the guy you are going to work with. Try to take on to big a project to soon and do a bad job, that will just get a bad name for yourself. stick to things you can do.

9. MattsMowing3535

I am keeping the projects small. The idea of the skidsteer is that I can work on natural rock hardscape's (something I really like) I would deffinatly start by working for freinds or family on very small projects with the bobcat. I can use the bobcat for snow removal too which would be very profitable here in the winter. I will look into hauling a bobcat in minnesota. I belive it is legal not sure.

10. Mike33

Not at all. I have a 22 year old daughter, and im giving you advise as i would my kid. But you got balls, i will list my web site below pull it up is my phone #. Call me before 10:00 tonight ill give you 15 minutes of my time.
    www.bobcatservice33.com
    Mike