Beginner at mower repair. Help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Feb 8, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Last season I noticed the cut of my ztr was a little off, it was leaving two strips which seemed to be on the outside of the center blade. The bearings ended up going out so two of the spindles were replaced(we thought a bent spindle shaft was the problem).
    I finished out the year with it how it was. Im trying to get it fixed to avoid buying a new mower just yet. I talked to a dealer and he said to line up the blade tips with each other and see if there bent, If they are, the deck is bent. I got home and lined them up and they are perfectly in line. After that I figured that the deck must be out of alignment. I later found that one of the front forks for the front wheel was bent. We torched and bent it back in place. The problem is still there, but not nearly as bad. What else can I do????????
    Also, ive noticed that two very small strips are always left barely cut because the front wheels lay down the grass before the deck reaches it. Do yall have this problem?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

How is your deck pitch??? Make sure the front is a little lower than the rear of the deck.

I had a very similar problem with a WB once, and after hours and hours of checking things and 'expert' analysis from the dealers, turned out one of my back tires had a wasn't obvious looking at it though. And in fact I had already measured the tires and they were the same around. The bulge wasn't where I was running the tape measure I guess.

Is the underside of your deck clean?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Also, did you switch to a different type of blade??? I have no luck with mulching blades, I always get a strip of grass running between the blades.
  4. stevenf

The blades have been changed but they were from the toro dealer and arent mulching blades. It had the same problem with the old blades to.
    Should the blades overlap each other at all?
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Since you speak of a "center blade," I will assume you have a three bladed deck. Do I understand the strips are at the point where the center blade meets the one blade on one side, and the other outer blade on the other side? If so, that would indicate the strip is not being cut because of: (1) blades aren't long enough to reach that strip of grass (e.g. they don't overlap a small distance), or (2) the blades are not designed for your deck (e.g. air flow under the deck created by the blades bends over the grass before it is cut).

I have a w/b with two spindles. Use of a certain kind of blade will leave a small strip down the middle. They are exactly the same length as my normal blades, but they create a different air flow, thus leaving a small strip uncut. The offending blades are extra hi-lift blades, the kind that create more air flow under the deck. I also see the problem with standard Gator blades too, but not enough to be a problem. My hi-lift Gator blades don't show the problem. In my case, I had only one strip, and I am very sure of the reason. In your case, you have two uncut strips -- you have two positions where the blades meet.

From your post, the problem apparently existed for most (all?) of the season. Did you buy new blades at the beginning of last season? Have you always used exactly the same blade, that is, the same one last season, as the previous seasons?
  6. stevenf

I bought is last summer, the blades that were on it are the same blades that are on it now( I bought them new from the toro dealer.
    They do not overlap each other at all. small space in between each one. Yes it is 3 blade, yes the two strips were on the outside of the center blade and it seemed like the center blade was cutting lower also. It would leave rivots down the middle of the rows.
    today I added washers to the arms that hold the deck, I torched and bent back the bent fork, and I put a washer under the other fork to make the frame level. The deck is not sitting perfectly level, it is not leaning forward like the first guy suggested. The cut did improve a decent amount. My main problem now is that it isnt cutting the grass that the front wheels lay now.
  7. stevenf

Bump, anyone?
  8. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you are not running high lifts try that, that is about all that will pick up the grass you're knocked down with the tires.
  9. stevenf

ok, How do I know what blades will fit it? its a 44" deck, should I just buy any 44" blades?
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Here are a couple of suggestions for hi-lift blades for a 44" Toro:

Item no. BL475 is a blade 15 1/2" long, 5/8" hole, intended for a 44" Toro w/b mower.

Or, follow the path for an Oregon blade product:

Go to page 3, and you will find two choices for a 44" Toro w/b,

Part no. 94-026 and 94-039 (specifically hi-light)

You can get these Oregon products from a LawnSite sponsor,
    Power Equipment Warehouse
    1-800-769-3741, ask for Diana. Give her your information about mower, deck size, kind of deck, etc. I am sure she can get you the right blades, and sent out quickly.

I'm sure there are other choices, but there are two places to buy blades. If you have an OEM parts manual, having the OEM blade part numbers may be useful.