Beginner Equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by erhager, Mar 6, 2006.

1. erhager

erhager LawnSite Member

What equipment did you guys start the business with?
  2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

i started with a 42" lt1000 craftsman mower, craftman trimmer, and a h.h. craftsman blower. this year i will be working with some far better equipment....commercial equipment is a wonderful thing
  3. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't go and buy a $12,000 rider if you don't know if you will have the money to pay for it at the end of season. Depends if your doing small properties or big properties. I would go with a 36in hydro walk behind and a if you know you will have money for a bigger ztr I would go to a 60in.
  4. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Also if your on a tight budget, and want good commercial equipment go look at lesco your able to get a 60in and a 36in hydro walk behind for just over $9000.00.
  5. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I started with a 36in encore, tanaka 7600 (2) and tanaka tbc 230 (2) also a enclosed trailer and a f250.
  6. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

What size gates? measure all the gates on the accts you are going to cut. That will tell you what to buy, I carry a 21 in toro and a 36 in Bobcat ,Echo trimmer and blower. As you get larger pieces of property to do then get into the larger toys!!!Look for leftovers from last year for a good deal.
  7. markuscb

markuscb LawnSite Member

I use Wright Standers (52") and have a Ferris 36" and 32" for small gates.
  8. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

i started with a cubcadet ztr 42inch and i still use it its small which i like cause i can get in a lot of small spots its not the best mower but it gets the job done especially for someone just starting out it runs for like 2500.
  9. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a Murrary 42" lawn tractor and a homelite weedeater and backpack blower. It got me started. Now I have a 48" Exmark, paid for, Stihl trimmers, Husquavarna Blowers, Etc.
  10. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I started with a 48 scag wb and a 48 scag ztr with collection system. wb cost $800 , ztr $3400 six years later still have them and the wb never had a major repair and very very little repairs on the ztr. Over the past years I will say i have upgraded and don't use them as much but still they do cut a couple accounts weekly. The money these machines have made me is ridiculous and whats really funny is I could sell them tomorrow for the same price i bought them for..The wb I could probably sell for more!! I almost forgot to add that the $800 for the wb included 4 lawn accounts, 3 I still have. If your planning for your business to grow then buy stuff that you grow into not grow out of..