1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

beginner in the business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by saralc, Jan 13, 2004.

1. saralc

saralc LawnSite Member

What advice do you have for someone just starting in the lawncare business? Where do I start?:help:
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We could list a million things here, what do you want, what specific questions do you have? Equipment, how to get contracts, price, truck to use, trailer, advertising?
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You can start by coming up with some questions/issues/topics and using the "search" feature of this place. Then, if you really don't get the info you are looking for, ask specific questions to the members.

BTW, welcome aboard...
  4. bigshoe

bigshoe LawnSite Member

Yes use the search it is A great function on this site it will keep you busy for days I know it has for me. But there is some things that change so if you can not find the answers you need, post your questions and everybody will try to give there best advice.
    And Welcome Aboard
  5. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

1) Self discipline, your willingness to learn, hard work and you will be successful!
    2) Stay "tuned" to lawnsite.com
    Good Luck
  6. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to Lawnsite. Here's a few tips I have:
    1. Know your competition - do you plan on competing on price or quality?
    2. Know your costs - it doesn't do you any good to undercut the competition if you lose money on every job.
    3. Always, always provide good customer service. Bad customer service will go further to ruin your business than a bad cut will any day.

Good luck to you with the business.

7. Turf-rite

Turf-rite LawnSite Member

Hello friends, Im new, I could use some advice concerning copyright laws. Is it legal to print my own logo on shirts, forms, etc. Even though the printing co. created it. I thought I could scan a business card and go from there. I just want to do whats right THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INFO

SIRCAESAR LawnSite Member

Hey Saralc, if you read all of the post on this message board, i am sure all of your questions will be answered.. I am new to the forums, and these guys have answered all of the questions I had, have now, and will have(laughing) seriously though, check out the just getting started in the business forum, I see your in the Metro-Atlanta area, I am in Conyers, Ga, which is about 30 - 40 minutes from you with no traffic.. we also have a forum in the network from people in your area.. check out the Atlanta section.. of that..and we can answer specific post pertaining to your area..
  9. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

Read the book Lawn Care & Gardening, A down-to earth guide to the business, by Kevin Rossi. Published by : Action Circle Publishing Co.., PO Box 1564 Ukiah, California. Published 1994.
    I think I bought this book in Books A Million.You may find it in Amazon.com.. It covers everything soup to nuts.
  10. John's Lawns

John's Lawns LawnSite Member

Another good book is: Starting Your Own Lawn Care Business by Eileen Figure Sandlin (2003). I bought it at Barnes and Noble.