1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

beginner leaf removal tip

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Oct 29, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I read that everyone says you need ATLEAST a powerful backback blower. However, I have found that just a mower is very usefull.
    I did my own experiment on one of my customers lawns that had leaves. Rather then cutting rows that were side by side, I cut the yard in a circle and slowly surrounded the center of the yard. 95% of the leaves went right to the middle in one big pile. Just a heads up for beginners like myself who think you have to spend hours on a yard....
  2. Lawn_Care

Lawn_Care LawnSite Member

Your System is okay for small yards, moderate leaves, and very dry conditions .My experience has been a little rain or high wind can change a simple job into a real pain.
    Using a commercial backpack blower to clear under shrubs and yards with many beds is a tool that I could not do without.
  3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

are small yards common with leaf removal?
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, I've been talking about windrowing the leaves with the mower for some time, circling is one method...
    The other way I do it is rather than circling I push them into the woods one row at a time, worst part is the constant doubling back over the already cleared area but it doesn't take that long.

The advantage here is there's no pile afterwards, soon as I'm done mowing, the leaves are in the woods already.
    Time wise it's probably about the same, either way works.

I much prefer this method vs. mulching, it's far less messy and I feel better not leaving a bunch of clipped up leafy matter on the turf.

Like so, basically you 'cut' in one direction only, then come back over the cleared area for the next pass, repeat until done:
  5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I do the same thing but to the curb for city pickup.......
  6. task125

task125 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I do the circle thing to,works good for me
  7. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I suck 'em up with my Walker just like when you are mowing the grass, except that I double cut it, one pattern one way, then the next the other... like a checkerboard. The first pass sucks up the majority of the leaves, the second take that grass into a different direction and picks up any small pieces that were left behind in the first passes or any larger ones that may be stuck to the wet grass or mud below. If the customer has city pick-up, then they are dumped at the curb. If not, they go into the back of the truck.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda funny that many of the responses regarding leaf removal revolves around blowing them into a woods......we don't have any of those. The circle process works fine on large areas also and on areas with a lot of leaves. We mulch with outlet closed then when we get it to the center of the property simply pick it up with a Walker...
  9. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I sometimes do the circle method but I do it with the catch on. This allows me to really pack a catch full of leaves and any blow out goes to the middle. I always give it a final cut so the lines are nice.
  10. rsp1961

rsp1961 LawnSite Member

ok, forgive me for jumping in without first introducing myself, im new to the site, but not so much new to the work. however, in the past ive never had a ZTR to help me, its always been a good backpack blower and rakes. fortunately, i always either was able to leave it at the curb for the city or blow it into the woods. however, ive heard several mention hauling it off? where to? and how do you get a yards worth of leaves in the back of your truck? or have they been mulched? maybe im lazy, but im not into hauling off a load of leaves...if it cant be left at the curb, or mulched into the yard (i think this is best for the soil), or blown into the woods, i wont do it...i like the plan shown above, or the circle method, or if beds are involved blow everything towards the middle, then mulch it, followed by a quick over mow to clean up the lines if needed.