BEGINNER: Needs help!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by swisher48312, Jul 8, 2002.

1. swisher48312

swisher48312 LawnSite Member

Hi there,

I am fully motivated to get this off the ground, but how much capital does one need? Plus, how much on hand cash and/or loan capital?

Plus, would it make more sense to look for a lawn business to buy, or to start one on my own?

Any help appreciated..

Thanks!

Mark

2. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

Lots of questions you asked..........so back atcha!

Do you have the financial resources it takes to get big quick?

Are you familiar with all the green industry business nuances such as estimating techniques, writing agreements, marketing and selling of services, handling employees and customers, etc, etc, etc?

How's your knowledge of horticulture?

Just how round is your learning curve for the above?

Too many people buy into this business without a clue....just finished a consultation with a nice fella who paid $215k for a business I wouldn't have given the seller $20k for.......he lost big time.

#1 Problem in our profession is lack of business knowledge....#2 is lack of horticulture knowledge, ironically, our product and services.

No matter what you decide.........don't build your business on a house of cards.......it will crumble sooner than later.

Good luck.

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Sage advise. JD

4. wayne volz

wayne volz LawnSite Member

Many questions to answer.

Too many times this industry is unforgiving to the new "guy". This industry is easy to jump into but profitability is another question.

Do yourself a huge favor and get some professional advice from someone who can really help you. Too many services fail from the lack of business knowledge, not the lack of effort. I started in this business in 1979 and made every mistake possible. I was 89k in debt and thought I needed more work. The real problem was that we were not charging enough per hour for our service. Contractors don't know what they don't know. Seek advice from a professional and get started the right way!

This is not a commercial for myself, but intended to save you many hours, years and dollars through trial and error and the school of hard knocks.

If you would like to see what we have to offer, visit our website @www.profitsareus.com

If not us, seek help from someone. It is available.

Good luck and I hope you do well.

Wayne Volz
    Profits Unlimited
    800-845-0499