Beginner question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eaglelawn, Jun 10, 2003.

1. eaglelawn

eaglelawn LawnSite Member

i have a Stihl 48 inch mower, and i am having trouble loosening the blades so i can sharpen them.

is there anybody who can give me advice/tips on an easy way to do it?

im not really that strong.

2. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Best thing I ever did was buy a Impact Wrench.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

What's a Stihl mower? :confused: :confused:

4. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

I'll be doggoned. I have checked around and can't seem to find a Stihl mower, either.

Anyhow, use a pair of leather gloves so you don't hurt yourself and get a wrench and then be careful (even dull, nicked blades can rack your knuckles & leave them bloodied). If the blades are rusted or gooped on, try some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench and let it sit for a few minutes.

I'm with superman, above, if you don't quite have the juice to get the bolt to budge, you might need to get ahold of an impact wrench.

Jyst as important, though, is when you go to put blades back on the mower. Torque them down to the specified tightness. You don't want it coming loose on you at several thousand RPM.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Can You Post a Picture PLEASE!!

6. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Wedge a piece of 2x4 in between the deck and blade so that it will not move. Then get a piece of pipe and stick over your breaker bar or socket driver making it longer. More leverage,makes it alot easier.
    :drinkup:

7. John Gamba

from ct

BigEd What if He has a spindle Like Scag's?
    John:drinkup:

8. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see now-- 'righty tighty' or 'lefty loosey' unless you are working upside down then i guess it would be 'lefty tighty' and 'righty loosey'.. But wait we have bolts with 'left hand thread' and bolts with 'right hand thread' - Hmm - I wonder which a Stihl 48 might have.. Mabe a rule of thumb would be 'to loosen turn the bolt in the opposite direction of the blade rotation'.

All the good tools have been previously mentioned..

John Gamba has THE BEST solution. If we can see a pic odds are we will be able to figure out how to remove the blades.

BobR

9. John Gamba

from ct

Thank You Bob
    But If You Can Not do A Pic, Maybe Fined Out what Mower It really Is and We can Help. Is It a SUTEK Or something Like that?

10. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Never owned a Scag.I run 2 Lazer Eps,and a 48 belt drive Lesco works on these.I also had JD 935 did same way.Whats the different in the spindles.