1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

beginner w/lots ambition and desire

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Shane Nelson, Nov 23, 2000.

1. Shane Nelson

Shane Nelson LawnSite Member

This is my first year to plow.IM insured,live in dallas PA,
    I will be useing 1997F250 w/8'western plow.for salt spreading i will be useing my lawn fert spreader push behind.I sure could use some helpful plowing tips from all angles,and priceing tips.I really could use your helpful Knowledge.Thanks and HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOUS!
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi, welcome to the forum!

The one thing in common I've seen with sucessful contractors is the value they place on time. Not equipment or accounts or money, but TIME is king.
  3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been plowing for several years now, but this is my first year with my own equipment, so I'm pretty new to the whole pricing game. If I'm unsure on how much to charge, I ask what the customer had been paying. Most people are honest and understanding when it comes down to it. If they throw out a figure that I can work for, I take it. I even underbid one other contractor by $50 per month just to get the account. This particular customer wants to pay monthly, and got quoted $250/month for a SMALL driveway. The reason I went down $50 is because I have several other accounts right near this one, and it won't take long to hit this one too. Plus, we don't get alot of storms per year, so $200/month sounded fair to me.

As far as the truck goes, it sounds like you have a good setup. Just take very good care of the transmission. For example, I change my transmission fluid about every-other oil change. KEEP IT PINK! Also, after doing some heavy plowing, don't just park your truck and shut it off. Let it run for a few minutes to allow the trans to cool off. If you don't have a transmission cooler, PUT ONE ON! Also, make sure you come to a complete stop before you go changing gears, and don't be in too much of a hurry. You're better off taking a little more time than ruining your truck.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

$200/month for a SMALL driveway?

Don't make me drool! ;)

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

You should've seen me when he called back... I was like a kid on Christmas.
  6. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Go easy on your truck. Make sure it has the proper running equipment for plowing. Treat it like a kid. Give it all of its maintenance when it needs it. Don't spare any expense keeping it in tip top condition. Your livelyhood will depend on no down time and so will your customers.