Beginning to fertilize, need help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by danielslawncare, Mar 5, 2008.

1. danielslawncare

danielslawncare LawnSite Member

I have been mowing for ten years now and am wanting to start granular fertilizing this year. From my experience, i am guessing that one pre-emergent be applied in march along with the first application of fertilizer(any ideas on what fertilizer combo's to use at different applications during the year?). Then i would split up two more fertilizer applications during thesummer months. Then at the end ofthe season, i would apply a winterizer product. Would someone please let me know if i am any where on track for a good fertilization schedule. Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
  2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

The best advice that I can give is:

A: Get your pesticide license, you will learn some safety basics, and it is the law to have this before applying any pesticides

B: Go to your local fertilizer dealer (Lesco is a good one) and talk to the person there, they will generally give you sound advice for your specific area.

C: Use the information obtained to get you started in your own research, search around online, get some books from the library, ect, as the person at the dealer may not give you answers that are always 100% in your best interest ((Sometimes they try to oversell you)
  3. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

try to invest in a sprayer early as possible liquid apps ae more productive and save big $