1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

begonais dyingHEEEELP

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Feb 1, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

every time i plant begonias, they die. what the heck am i doing wrong? ive planted them in full sun, part shade, told the customer not to water in the evenings so they dont stay wet all night, i just cant get it right, any ideas?
  2. tiffany

tiffany LawnSite Member

I will try to help, although it sounds like you may know as much about begonias as I do. I know that of wax begonias (I assume these are what you are talking about, and not tuberous), the green leaf varieties prefer more shade, while the bronze leaf kind are more sun-tolerant. I also know that you have to plant them in VERY well drained soil- all begonias are susceptible to rot (especially the tuberous kinds). Aside from that and careful watering, they should do ok. An all purpose fertilizer is also good, although if it is used too often the begonias get pretty leggy and unattractive.
  3. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Let's help here, not just dumb remarks!

paul moderator

[Edited by paul on 02-01-2001 at 04:27 PM]

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

what do they look like when they start getting sick....
    check the soil ...does it drain well.... is the ph too high or low is the soil fertial.......is thier irragation.. because you can't allways depnd on customers to water corectly or even at all.. maybe you could sell them on a small system just for their bed....$$$$$
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

thanks for the input, it seems though every time i use them, any variety, they die, and in any type of exposure.what they look like when they r dying? well, it is not a long drawn out event, they seem to go rather quickly, like ill plant them and a week later, when i expect they will be perking up, the look as though they have not developed at all, and two weeks later, not growing , nothing, then after about a month, they r gone, completely, i even thought some type of varment was eating them. i have used other annuals for color on my landscape jobs without a problem. thanks again 4 yur help. BOB
  6. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Smoking can cause tomato mosac virus in a lot of plants.I dont appreciate being edited for a real question MR PAUL AD.
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

If you'd have put that in your post it wouldn't have been edited, but your orginal post "Do you smoke" had no direct bearing on this subject.
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

9. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Bobby- are you planting them too low (crown rot) - Aren't they succeptible (I mow better than I spell) to verticillum?
    I also suck at keeping these looking good = it's usually due to them being too wet. Same thing with New Guinea Impatiens....
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

i dont think im planting too low, next time i use them, ill go the whole 9 yards, fresh soil, ozmecote(anyone try this product?) i see little old ladies plant them and they look great and continue to flourish till frost. thanks for the help folks. BOB