being a boss of a landscaping Co. Plz Read!!!!!

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by cuttin-to-the-Max, Aug 25, 2010.

1. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok so im getting Tired of this landscaping biz!

I also have "alot" of resi accounts and a handfull of commercial accounts for grass and snow and really dont want to close the biz 1 aND 2 Let all those ppl down.... since i have guys working for me already my plan was to next yr have 2 or 3 guys working the landscaping biz just doing grass and jobs......Then those 3 guys + a me and a few other guys in the winter.... Bc for some reason i LOVE plowing!

But for the most part i want out on this biz.

I was thinking has anyone ever done this before?

What do you do all day? (Keep it clean please!!!!!!) :nono:

I was thinking if the econ. pics up a lil i could open a deli or something.....

2. DitchDr

DitchDr LawnSite Senior Member

Well our company is going well enough that I can hire someone I trust to run it. Only problem is finding that person.

If I can find them I will keep doing my EMS job and then open up a second hot dog cart. Currently have one working hospitals and building sights as well as Lowes and home Depots.

3. BCLawns

BCLawns LawnSite Member

you could always go back to working for Mc Donalds. lol j/k

4. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Well my plan is to keep all the biz in the lawn and snow field And i will prob open a reasturant with my wife

then i'll plow in the winter
    And have 2-3 guys working in the spring
    (i would come out in the fall and winter)

5. kcomstock

kcomstock LawnSite Member

Don't get out of green industry, opening a restaurant is way harder then mowing a few yards, making sales and getting a tan, unless you have a huge amount of money piled up for the restaurant then making the $ will be very hard, from what I've heard, good luck dig your heels down and stick with it or find another aspect of the business that you enjoy doing

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

restaurant business has one of the highest fail rates. Very difficult business to run.

7. newjerseylandscaping

newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

JMO but i would start a car sales buisness before i started a resturant, now a deli you have something there.

8. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

Was in restaurant biz for 17 years. Landscape is no picnic either but the restaurant biz can become a nightmare and a HUGE cash drain very quickly. The hours are insane. Want to work most holidays, every weekend and be working all the time when other people aren't then the restaurant biz is for you. Plus, talk about babysitting adults!!! Most staff members are using it just a step to something else and many don't care too much. Find a good foreman for the summer and work your winters. Find some other seasonal job during the summer that you do enjoy...

9. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

i have a buddy who has a decent sized landscape business. for some reason he decided he loves cleaning pools. Said he finds it relaxing to go out and do his. He started a pool cleaning division with his company and does the cleanings himself has just the right amount of clients that he can go out 3 days a week and work at a pace he wants and hired a guy who used to own his own LCO to be his foreman for landscape. I would do like him and find something somewha related that you may enjoy more. If your landscape company has a good reputation then you should be a step ahead with building your new client base

10. newjerseylandscaping

newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^
    cleaning pools relaxing? well to each his own i guess.