Being a Lawn Care Contractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B & A Lawn Care, Nov 25, 2007.

1. B & A Lawn Care

B & A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

As some of you know i own my own lawn care company, and I am looking to expand rapidly. We are looking into several options over the internet but, inorder to be in one place at the same time we are going to have to contract work out to other commercial & residential cutters. Do you guys think there is a large need here.

2. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

If you want some responses you might want to re-state your question.

I don't think anybody knows what you are talking about. At least I don't.

3. B & A Lawn Care

B & A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

We are looking to expand on-line so that people can have there grass cut or fertilized etc. So we can reach a broader market and we would like to contract work out has any one ever done this before and how has it worked for you.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We don't sub in areas we don't service, just referrals.

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I think what you are saying is that you want to expand you business to other towns and/or states, and you want to sub-contract the work out to other lawn care companies? No, that will not go over very well. Well, yeah if you pick up a customer in my area and you charge them $100 per man hour, you can sub-contract it to me for $70 per man hour. I will do it then. Otherwise, it seems the only one making the money will be you. The sub-contractor will use their equipment, gas, as well as have all the other expenses, and only get part of the money for maintaining the property. It is just better to find our own accounts rather than take a cut in profit to be a sub-contractor.

6. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

And...... then you will be relying on that contractor to do a good job.
    Since you won't be able to over see the jobs, and they do a crappy job for you, then it's your name/image being hurt.

Plus, the contractor's would probably be looking to steal that work from you. (I would), knowing that you would probably be making money on top of what they make, and with you not being around, since I would be doing all the work, I'd go after the job all for myself. Why not.

If you want to grow that big, you are welcome to do it, and are welcome to all the headache's.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Why is it that everyone always wants to expand out beyond the horizon, instead of slamming where they are? You guys just make no sense to me. Conquer Rome before you take over the world. :rolleyes:

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

a few periods and commas in the right place and i might be able to figure out what your trying to do. as far as expanding, i dont leave town and im booked, and sub-contracting?? im still confused, you want more work but you want to do less?? i dont sub fert, i work with someone. i refer them off to him. we work together well and we each specialize in our areas so we dont need more equipment. im also confused about the internet thing, almost as if your stressing promoting it all on the web. not sure it will "rapidy" work.

9. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

Send me a PM I am in your area I might be able to help you.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My attitude as a solo is I run my business, seems to me that everybody and their brother always wants a turn at the command console but without any of the responsibility, then when they hit a snag they're first to bail, after they made sure they got paid, and I'm left with the aftermath.

I've been doing this for only 6 years but most everything is in place and I don't welcome unsolicited help easy nor do I look for new help myself but so often. I've done been through the school and I don't mind trying out something new every once in a moon, but I also know it's just as easy to stick with what works, even if it's a bit of a ways from perfect.

What you speak of is what my advertising and pre-screening takes care of, at a cost of $40 a customer newcomers are not really welcome to have at it anymore because you're not the first in line. As an unproven source I only pay you after I get paid, and if I do the work then I estimate the job and I collect the check also. There will be no percentages tacked onto my price, there will be no pre-arranged anything regardless of the job and two weeks after their check clears the bank then I will think about maybe you get paid, see how I feel for a change.

Yeah because otherwise I just keep doing it the way I'm doing it now, pay my advertiser his $xxx a week and I'm done, I already know what to expect there.

So yeah, I think you need to rephrase that :p