1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Being efficient with FUEL

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Jul 1, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Any ideas that you guys are implenting with yourself or crews? I was looking at UPS and they say no left turns - why wait for traffice, set idle, etc. They try to route everything in fashion with roads, deliveries etc.

Gas is eating me up this year compared to past years. Yes, I no all about the fuel surcharge thing and all but I am not asking about reclaiming the money - just easier ways on the gas bill!
  2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

All I can do is tighten up my routes and make sure the equipment and trucks are tuned up and running good. I have not implemented a fuel charge yet but I have thought about it.
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

A big difference for me was going from a 27hp Kohler to a 28hp EFI Kohler. A BIG difference :clapping:
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Keeping my truck and equipment properly maintained seems to really help the fuel mileage. I know it is time for some maintenance when I notice a drop in fuel efficiency. Making sure your spark plugs, fuel and air filters are in good working order really help alot. Make sure these get replaced when they are supposed to be changed and not when they completely crapped out on you. This always seems to help out my fuel mileage.
  5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Doing my best not to spill a little here and there filling up the hand helds.
  6. TCossuto

TCossuto LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

A diesel truck has to be a good bit better. Gas is the same price as diesel here, but diesels always get 30+ MPG. Not spilling, idling when not needed, and no A/C are the ovbious though.
  7. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

I have quit making full stops at stop signs (on subdivision streets).

I make a slow roll and accelerate very slowly through the intersection. Any cop watching me roll the stop sign will notice that I am being safe even though I am not following the letter of the law.

I realize that I am risking a ticket from a hard-nosed cop, or one that is having a bad day. But, with gas prices so high, I feel I am getting good odds on this "wager". I am also blessed with some charisma, and I feel that improves my chances of getting away without a ticket.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

In regards to Diesel - I have all chevy with 6.0 engines. I have a friend who owns a nursery and we give each other work all the time and they have Fords with deisels. He says - on his new 06 truck, 4 door 3500 single axle he is getting around 15 in town, best on out of town jobs 17. The extra cost of that engine vs my gas - to me doens't pencil out.
  9. TCossuto

TCossuto LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

3500 is a big truck, with a 6 liter engine. I'm talking more of the f250 4.6 liter sizes. I hear they get about 22 MPG with a trailer.

I've been pulled over for rolling 2 stop signs (as screensnot) this year, and the cops both understood I was working hard and being 'safe'. No ticket.
  10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes but generally the diesel will have more longevity and when you get into pulling real heavy stuff, the gas' fuel economy drops even further. Each have their own advantages.

No left turns is sort of impractical, rolling stops I will do those. The biggest thing is a light foot on the gas pedal, I mean I don't sit there holding up traffic but I'm not stepping on it real hard from light to light. Keeping tire pressures up is important, I will run my truck's tires at the max recommended, and usually overinflate the trailer tires 5 or so PSI. There's a lot of rolling resistance there and it's worse if the tires are low on air pressure.