Being injured and working...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron's Lawn Care, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Yesterday I sprained my ankle while playing racquetball. I have work to do that can't get done now because its too painful. This got me to wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation of spraining something or breaking a bone and you've had work to do. What happened and how did you handle it?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Yes, I have been in that before. I had three things that come to mind: hurt shoulder, sprained knee, and tennis elbow. Out of all of them, the tennis elbow was the worst. Thank God that happened when I had workers. It honestly took me almost 2 months to recover from that.

The other two injuries I just worked through it, but a lot of times would only work a half day until it started to feel better again

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why its best to have a couple of employees...you never know when something like this will happen to you.

I have a reacurring back problem that decided to act up real bad last week. With all the leaf cleanups on schedule this time of year I worked anyway (letting the guys do the heavy work). I had to visit the chiropractor 4 times last week so that I was good enough to do even a little bit of work.

4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

oh ya i work with weak ankles i maybe only 14 but i work even if i spran my ankles which happens often i work but when i do i ake a little break and then go back to work yes its painful but i got to do it but it probably didnt hurt as much as yours

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

This week I was doing a cleanup, I was blowing leaves into piles along the curb so they could be sucked up, they were oak tree leaves and they are dam slippery i slipped on a bunch of em my foot went right through a storm drain and I slammed my knee on the grate of the storm drain, boy did that hurt. I taped it up and wrapped it up still hurts so i blow with a limp heh, but yea missin work stinks, guess youll need to hire someone for a bit and surpervise.

Jeff

6. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

last year i stress fractured my foot, (one of the bones in the top) I was running cross country at the time. I could not possibly miss out on mowing, the doc said i would have to stay off of it for 4 to 6 weeks to let it heal. I had no choice but to work through it, luckily it did not hurt that bad, i just let a lot of air out of my sulky tires and walked alot slower. I figured I had all winter to let it heal. I am fully recovered now. Stick in there, being hurt sucks! I find myself being a little more cautious nowdays, before you do something stupid think to yourself, How long will this take to heal from? I can't imagine spraining a wrist or something and having to use a walkbehind....

7. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Cut 4 tendons completely in half in my right wrist in the middle of April after commencing spring cleanups and aeration. I'll attach a picture of the brace I wore for 8 weeks. I was apparently the 10th person in the world to get one of these special braces and I had it specially done by the doctor who invented it. (I then wore another smaller brace for 6 weeks).

I figured out how to work our Honda pushmowers (even figuring out how to start them 1 handed), trimmed 1 handed using a strap, even learned how to drive the ZTR with my 1 hand and my other elbow.

Thank god for some fantastic help or our company wouldn't have had a good year but all turned out great in the end.

I'll attach a picture of my hand after surgery, and then I'll post again and show a picture of the brace. Note the bruising.

DSC00665.JPG

8. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

And here's the brace that I wore...it got some looks ;)

messed up hand.JPG

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

now how did you do that though?

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i had a bruised ankle bone for a few days this season. every step i took my boot would rub on it and it was very painful. i just had to work through it. wasn't a fun few days but it soon got better.