1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Being out bidded this season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capt.craig, Apr 11, 2004.

1. capt.craig

capt.craig LawnSite Member

I'm being out bidded on several new accounts Ive bid on. I'm from southern Ontario and figure I must be bidding on to many cuts per season. I bid on a 26 cut per season thinking this would include clean ups and some extras. i have only been doing this for 2 years and feel I haven't been in the business long enough to average out my cuts per year. Do you think 26 cuts per season is to much in this area? i feel this is the only way i could have gone wrong in my estimating. thanks Craig
  2. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

im in sw missouri and i average 28 cut a year. you may be a little high where you are.
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I average 28 cuts here in Michigan
  4. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

i bid for 27 cuts in western,NY
  5. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

I'm around Lake Simcoe, Ontario, so I would assume we have a pretty similar cutting season. Actually, yours may even have a couple of more weeks then mine.

If your 26 cuts is including Clean-ups and some extra's like you said, and you are cutting weekly without skipping any weeks, then I don't think you are over-estimating the amount of cuts in your bid.

I average 22 cuts per season, excluding clean-ups, but I think you might get an earilier start than I do. My first cut of the season (avg. over last 6 years) is almost always during the 2nd week of May (8th-15th)
  6. capt.craig

capt.craig LawnSite Member

Kirmick it sounds like we are about the same I stared cutting the first week of May last year, cut every week till Sept. 3 times in Sept . 3 times in oct. but thought that maybe last year was the extreme because of all the rain. I figured that the 26 cuts would include the spring and fall clean ups without adding an additional charge in for them. thanks craig
  7. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

For me, I use 22 weeks as my base when coming up with a bid. Clean-ups are aslo included but at an additional cost. I normally only cut 2 times in October, and I know that during the hot-dry part of July and August, I will skip atleast 1, hopefully 2 weeks.

I think that using 26 weeks isn't too much for coming up with a quote, especially since your including Spring and Fall clean-ups.

It's possible that your competitor (s) may have submitted a bid that had weelky cutting in May - June and bi-weekly cutting during July - August - September, if they did this they would have been providing atleast 5 less cuts and likely would have been cheaper. It's also possible that they bidded on just mowing without including any clean-ups.

There are really a lot of possible answers as to why someone else may have bid lower, but in my opinion, I don't think you are over-estimating on your cuts per season.

Hope I was able to help.