1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Being Played?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jun 24, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

hmm. that's is a little strange
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. cimkill

cimkill LawnSite Senior Member

Your right I could have declined, but we are close friends which made it awkward( not sure if I spelled that right).
  3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Herler, sometimes you just make no sense at all. What makes you think I "gouged" that "poor" lady? I intentionally never mentioned the actual price on the job, because it really wasn't relevant, but, if you must know, I raised her price from $30 to $40. In an average year, the lot gets mowed 5 or 6 times, so if you call charging someone $60 more per year gouging, then, well, I suppose I am guilty as charged.

And, if you think it doesn't take longer to mow an account only once a month during the peak growing season, then you haven't cut much grass, but even that wasn't my primary reason for raising the price. It is just as much trouble, and costs me just as much money to invoice someone for $30 a month, as it does for $500. I decided, that to me, it just wasn't worth messing with for $180 or so a year.

Also, the original post wasn't about "Mrs. C", it was about someone I considered a friend that I had helped in the past, and planned to help more in the future, putting what you now know, is only a few bucks, ahead of our friendship. I said I wouldn't be surprised if the customer dropped me, I didn't say I wouldn't be surprised if a friend took the account by undercutting my price.
  4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Oh, I know you are right, this isn't my first rodeo, and I had already answered my questions in my own mind, I just wanted to se if others not close to the situation would agree.