1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Being safe

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ray_Lawns, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Ray_Lawns

Ray_Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NE AL

The week started on Tuesday due to a mini vacation with the family. We were out mowing for my biggest customer that involves 600 miles of driving to get all of the locations. While traveling to one of the sites I turned off of the main highway onto a two lane road. While approaching a small hill a black car appears traveling in my direction halfway in my lane. I instantly applied my brakes and started for the side as the other driver (an 81 year old woman) totally locks her car down. I did all I could to avoid her but it just did not happen. The end result is my little Nissan truck and trailer are now totalled and property of her insurance company. It is my opininion that if my mower was not strapped down it would have either landed in the grass and totalled it or even worse it would have landed on the cab and totalled me and my helper. Take that extra minute and strap those mowers down guys, you just never know.

On the bright side I have now purchased a truck I have had my eye on for a while and have been to tight with my money to buy even though I actually needed it.

IMG_20130416_150843.jpg

IMG_20130419_191340.jpg

2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Wow! That looked pretty gnarly.... I am very glad you are O.K from one landscaper to another....

3. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

WTF! How the hell do you make any money when you are mostly driving?

4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Hope everyone's alright! We've seen some pretty crazy accidents posted on here, and I feel for everyone of you guys that's been involved. I've had my share of accidents, but fortunately none that have involved the work truck. Knock on wood.

5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

That truck is sharp. I'm jealous.

6. Ray_Lawns

from NE AL

No injuries just banged around pretty good. As far as the 600 miles I won't reveal all my secrets but they are done in two days and the longest I am at one place is an hour.

7. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

600 miles aint that bad when you drive a little quarter ton Nissan. you'll feel it now with that V8! nice truck though.

8. Ray_Lawns

from NE AL

I don't really expect much change actually. The little truck was constantly in a strain pulling the weight and you add that to the fact that she had 342k miles and was nearly worn out you get an average of 9-10 mpg. I think the new one should do ok, if I can do at least 10 I will be happy.

9. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

Ya I guess not eh. Forgot that little nissan would be working harder...it was still early for me, wasnt thinkin straight. Come to think of it now, you'll probly be doin better for mileage with the new Nissan because of better technology and it won't be workin as hard....yes I've had my coffee now
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

600 miles with stops in between.... I'd probably fall asleep at the wheel. You're a beast, sir. You're not human.