1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Being successful

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GriffinLawnService, Sep 2, 2006.

1. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

I know this has been asked by me several times. But personaly I am about to spend alot of money upgrading equipment and advertising trying to get new accounts and work. Right now I have about 14 accounts.

I want to get into a city that is about 45 minutes away from here, I dont know whether I should do flyers and door hangers in sub divisions? The city has alot of LCO's already but it is growing very rapidly. New sub divisons are being built everyday. I also do not know how I should approach getting accounts in these new sub-divisons. Should I put a door hanger and flyer at the house that has an un-finished yard.

Mainly I guess what I am saying is I want to be very successful at this. I love the work and love to do the work. Any comments and suggestions are greatly valued. Thanks in advance
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What do you want to do? mowing, installs, irrigation, everything?
  3. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

The most important thing in advertising is BE CONSISTENT meaning that you should not get discouraged if the area you are farming doesn't give you good results with your first mailout or door hanger. You need to brand your company by keeping your logo in front of them as much as possible so that when they think LCO they think of you. Door hangers are less expensive than mailouts, but I think mailouts are more effective. If I were in your shoes I would budget as much as possible on advertising & wait for the accounts before buying any equipment.
  4. GriffinLawnService

I just want to do mowing. Maybe way down the line do installs and irrigation, that isnt my priority rite now though.

An how do you do mail outs? Maybe a dumb question but I have never done them and if they are more affective than thats what I need to do.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Buy a list of new homes or of sub -divisions by zip code and do mass mailings
    You can target almost exactly who your after. door hangers and flyers won't be any cheaper by the time you have to drive and hang them. Also people in those sub- divisions get so many flyers they don't read 95% of them. Mail out 5-10k and expect 3-5 % return if your sales pitch is good, probably closer to 3 % if you keep prices in line with the market.
  6. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty much like evergreenedmond said, be consistant! passing out 2000 door hangers is not enough, what gets peoples attention is when every few months they see the same door hangers...it shows them that you are not a fly by night LCO and you will be surprised at the turn arounds you end up getting. GL
  7. GriffinLawnService

Where can I get or buy the list of mailing address??
  8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

advertise advertise advertise.

I send my flyers out to the same houses 4 times a year. Last year we put out over 20,000 flyers, by hand.
  9. GriffinLawnService

Thanks for the replies I already have the flyers made. Prob going to get some door hangers made but I am still pondering the idea of mass mailing. Just not sure of the way to go about doing that though
  10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I'm assuming you had people help you? How did you pay them? By hour? Per piece? How much did you pay them?