Being sued - $500,000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dkeisala, Oct 20, 2004.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I took an electric Black and Decker lawn mower in lieu of payment from a client. Gave it to my significant other who sold it to a co-worker. When she (the new owner of the mower) was unloading it from the trunk of her car (after having a couple of cocktails at the restaurant she worked at) she engaged the "throttle" while her hands where under the mower deck and cut up her fingers pretty bad. This was two years ago. She's gone after Black and Decker and that didn't work so now she's coming after me and my significant other, our homeowners and my business liability policy. I'd never even personally met the woman until after the incident happened when she verbally attacked me for not claiming responsibility for what happened.

I always figured it would be a matter of time before someone sued me but never thought it would happen this way. You just never know when something like this can happen and you can never be too careful.
  2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

frivolous lawsuits cost this coutry so much money it's sick :angry: i would be so pissed at this B#!CH i would be temped to kill her, the nerve of her to try and sue you after you were trying to be nice and give something to her. Good luck in court, i hope the judge has a ounce of common sense and throws the stupid B!#CH to the curb. :realmad:
  3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

That's pretty much what I'm hoping for! It's in the insurance companies hands now. Whatever happens, I'm sure it's going to cost me money in the end.
  4. lawncutr

lawncutr LawnSite Member

Document everything from now a lawyer and discuss it with your insurance carrier, they will likely have their own lawyers and will better be able to handle it than you. I would be ready for a lawsuit as she will prob. come aftter you as well as you may be an easier target. Countersue where possible (your lawyer will be able to guide you). Make it clear to herthat if she sues you, you are going to make her financially responsible for the lawyer fees when she loses.
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

If she was taking it out of her vehical why the hell was it running. I mean if its a regular 21 push mower, don't you have to pull it to get it started???

6. lawncutr

lawncutr LawnSite Member

Unfortunatly tort reform won't fix this type of crap...just be glad you do have insurance and go and incorporate your company so the next time you get sued you can give them the big finger.
  7. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder why the mower was plugged in while it was in the truck of her car?
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

''I took an electric Black and Decker lawn mower ''

I had to go back and re read it one time myself
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It will take another 3 years before the dust settles I grant you...maybe longer.
  10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I hate those frivalous suits---really shows the intelligence of people like her.