Being the best

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Sep 16, 2000.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't figured out how to show people that I am one of the better guys in town. I mean don't you guys ever see a guy that mows circles? Like going around and around the lawn till you reach the center? I see alot of guys doing that and it makes me sick to see that done. I stripe all of my lawns and if you ask anybody normal they'll tell you that striping looks better. Anyway, what is the best way to get your name out there? Word of mouth hasn't worked for me and adverising sure hasn't so what else could I do? Any ideas? Thanks guys.:)

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

You've gotten your image across very well on this forum.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Scag48 wrote:

<b><i>Word of mouth hasn't worked for me and adverising sure hasn't so what else could I do?</b></i>

Word of Mouth does work and so does advertising. If you are in a hurry to build a business then you should be putting flyers out everywhere 3 or 4 times a year. You will get calls. Just be prepared to work your butt off right from the start and don't be afraid to sell services cheap. Also these types of customers are often fly-by-nighters that are always looking for a better price so expect high turnover. Word of Mouth advertising is a business strategy that takes time to work but results in a higher paying client base that is more apt to stay with you over the long haul. For example last fall a local shop owner recommended me to a woman who was looking for someone to service her lawn. I gave her a price ($30.00 for 1/8 acre) that seemed a little high to her. She asked me why the price was so high since I had all this big equiptment that would cut her grass in a hurry. I explained to her that the last time I checked they weren't giving this equiptment away. She was so impressed with the cut that I am giving her that she has recommended me to 5 other people. I now have 6 new accounts from 1 Word of Mouth recommendation. Just hang in there, you're living at home, 13 years old and have virtually no overhead. Just do the best job on every account you service, don't rush things and by the time you're 18 you will have more work than you can handle.

4. bucktail

bucktail Member

i like circles

5. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

THOSE WHO GO IN CIRCLES SHALL BE KNOWN AS THE WHEEL

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They stripe too! They just end up with one big light stripe and one big dark one! lol

7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Read my post on competition that you started.

YOU ARE YOUNG

Keep doing a good job at a fair price and the customers will fall in line. There is no need to grow your business over night. Any body that mows in circles and charges for that service is not to hip to lawn mowing. Stripes are in baby. Seriously, everyone here is here to help each other and we are giving you good advice. The guy mowing in circles is also costing him or herself time too, cause every time you turn you have to slow to turn.

And when grandma calls, tell her the price of doing business has gone up.

Best Wishes

[Edited by cos on 09-16-2000 at 05:40 PM]

8. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

maybe its mind over matter:

I AM THE BEST BECAUSE I KNOW I AM

you'll be suprized to know how far that will take you ...

It works ...

9. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

We call that crapsman style...."bullseye mowing". Its the quickest way to mow a lawn with a mower that turns like crap, cuz it keeps the turns as big as possible to compensate for the mediocre way it's built.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the advise guys. Richard Martin-I know word of mouth and stuff works, it just hasn't worked very well for me. I advertised a bunch. And since I mow a very little amount of lawns, I don't have many customers to tell others. Cos-I don't expect my biz to grow in one night but I would have though that I might have gotten some jobs advertising. I'm gonna go up to our golf course were all the Jr. Bill Gates' live and advertise. Hopefuly that will turn up some jobs. Bucktail-Guess what? I DON'T LIKE CIRCLES! I don't know anybody that does except for you! Just my opinion.