1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Being the Boss

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tech man, Mar 26, 2005.

As Boss, How many billable hours do you work a week?(Round to closest 10)

1. 50-60

31 vote(s)
  2. 30-40

21 vote(s)
  3. 10-20

8 vote(s)
  4. if I work in the field, I might get a blister.

2 vote(s)
  1. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

I m sure not everyone here,Who is the boss, works out in the field, but for those that do How many billable hours do you work a week?
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I'm the boss in my company, But I also work a 7-3 mon-fri- job. But Iv'e heard from several customers that its good to see the "boss" on a job site. In my area I think there are more bosses in the field than not. So my answer I guess would be about 50% for mowing and 100% for landscaping or clean up jobs.
  3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

opp's I voted wrong, did'nt read it right I guess. 50-60, thats wrong not billable. more like 30 to 40 billable. :dizzy:
  4. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

My boss is out on the job site as many hours as I am. And we have heard from several customers also that it is nice to see the boss on site. :waving:
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You don't have bracket high enough ;)
  6. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

8 to 6 every day that ends in y I'm in the field. In the winter I'm a potato.
  7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Me to brother...after Thanksgiving you can color me gone....unless is snows :)
  8. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

I am the Boss of my company. and I am on the job 100% the time. :gunsfirin
  9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I am currently in the 30-40 range, but am going to strive for the 20-30 range by season end. Actually, this past week of the 4 days we were able to work, I put in about 2 , but had 3 running estimates, errands, and doing other managerial work. As a boss/owner, it is important to find a balance between work and time off (family, friends, other interests). No matter what your size - try not to let your business run you. I made that mistake for too many years, now I'm trying to spend more 8-5 time doing more managerial tasks.
  10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Five to six 10-12 hour days a week then there’s paper work and estimates on top of that.