1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Being to young to get the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt'slawncare, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

Well i am 18 years old right now and i have been mowing yards for about 8 years now and i plan on getting bigger. I have a problem though with getting bigger its that people keep telling me that all these big company's and townships arn't going to listen to a kid my age. Do any other young kids on here have this problem. So what should i do should i just try it or find someone older to go talk with them.

thanks for the help,
  2. Don't listen to those people.

Just do it and prove them wrong.
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

References.....if they are near another lawn you service, give them the address, and let them drive by it, and even call the homeowners. but be sure to get their permission first. This has worked for me in the past. And be sure to speak well, speak at their level, not like an 18 year old (no offense). Let them know you are confident. People appreciate that.

Just a few things from my experiences. hope it helps.
  4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Don't listen to them, just have you're refrences available and be professional.
  5. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I've had no problem with my age, im 19yrs old. Most of my customers are very interested in what I do and how young I am on running a business. I say just show your referances of your current customers to any future customers, take pictures of work done and just present yourself professionally. Usually potential customers will be impressed when they talk with a 18yr old that knows alot about the biz and already has many accounts that does quality of work, theirs a good chance they will give you a shot at doing work for them.
    Just act professional and you should get any customers that call you.
    PS-Remember you wont get everyone out their, just have to be patient.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

MATT--at 18 you are no longer a kid so stop calling yourself one.

conduct your business legally and appropriately and people will have to consider you as a competitor.

and above all, consider the source of your advice when you get it.

good luck.

8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

The age of 18. I can't remember that for back. I started my lawn service. when i was 32. I wish i had the nerve like you to start when i was 18. but South East Asia needed me then. Don't worry what other people say or do. Upmost be proud of you work. your name will get out.
  9. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Your 18 Matt, the people of America think your old enough to join the armed forces and defend thier very lives while using machines that they paid for that cost more than thier houses. What do they mean you arent competition? As long as you do high quality work, it doesnt matter how old you are. I think Bushhogboy is 15 years old.
    I have always used how young I am to an advantage. People seemed to like how I was 17 and running my own business responsibly. Now I am 20, almost 21, (18 more days to go) and I run a pretty good tight business.
    Dont let em get you down, try for it anyways!

10. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 19 and I've been cutting since I was 9 years old, Started to make use of my lawn cutting skills 2 years ago. I have never had a problem getting a job because of my age. The only problem i have is when we neogotiate the price, people seem to think since we are young they can get work done for half as much as the older folk in the biz. Well when they try to talk me down I rip out a binder with a bunch of pic of my accounts and say to them "now does this look like cheap work to you"
    It doesn't matter how old you are it matters that you are dependable and do good work!