Being used.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Buddy Buds, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

Do any of you show up for a bid and the grass is 2 feet tall? Give them a price for every week or every other week and they say OK. When you cut it the first time thinking you've got a customer, then you get put off and find out they are cutting it themselves.:hammerhead:
  2. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

When I show up to any lawn that is over grown I tell the person that the price is $50-80 one cut (small yard). You need to walk through the property and make sure there will be nothing you hit with your machine and then take the risk you still might. If you don't get a call back for another cut you still made 50- $80...don't take a risk and do people favors and get burned. I will add also that I never get called back from lots of cheap people so don't feel like you are obligated to take every job that comes along because its not worth your fuel/time and equipment for $20...
  3. Did you charge them extra for the extra growth?
  4. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

If the lawn is overgrown I tell them what it will cost per week to mow and that I will have to charge them double the first time since it is in bad shape.
  5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

$200 per hour for overgrown. That will get you 2 mowers, 3 workers. We can zip out 1/4 acre of 2 foot grass in about 1-1.5 hrs. Usually 5-6 passes, and lots of blowing. We will clear 2 passes at 5.5" into windrows. Clean that up, then 3 passes to get it down and clean. We stay away from them, but a few have turned into real good clients. It helps to know why it got so long, and why they waited so long to do something about it.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

not worth my time to do brush mowing with my finish mowers......................
  7. larryslawn

larryslawn LawnSite Member

yea i have been burned like that a couple of times i guess i didn't learn my lesson the first time.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea, this is why you should always charge like it is a one time deal. I don't trust and newbie customers. "Ya, I probably will let you cut it the rest of the year IF you do a good job on my knee deep grass" Ya right!! Rarely do I even bother with mowing high grass. I ask them on the phone before going to even estimate it how tall it is or when is the last time it was cut?

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't really run into people that have dropped me after a 1st cut that is tall. However, I do charge accordingly. I'm not going to lie, I get annoyed while cutting an overgrown lawn, but I love the finished product. It looks so good when it's all cut properly, weed whacked, edged, and all the sand and crap in the road cleaned up. Such a big difference.