Being young is not cool.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pcs, Feb 15, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

It really sucks for young people who try to start there own business. It really sucks when you try to get insurance. I phone 5 companies last year for qoutes. They all said that wouldn't even think about insuring me. I finally get someone to insure me. $349.00 per month for truck. I just got my renewal and they are raising it to $430.00 per month. How am I suppose to make any money!!!! Oh well. I just have to raise my prices a little.

2. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Welcome to the real world...Get used to it because that's just part of owning your own business...Good Luck...Derrick

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

What kind of truck is that pcs?

4. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

It's a 2000 F-150

5. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I here ya. I'm 21 years old and was faced with the same situation that your in when I first started shoping for auto insurance.

Course my auto insurance isn't really all that bad. I own two truck...86 Ford 1 Ton Dually & and 85 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup....both in excellent condition both body and mechanically wise.

Currently I've got full coverage, with the exception of Collision, on both vehicals. The Ford is 102 dollars per month and the Dodge is only 58.00 dollars per month, both with a 250 deductable so I really can't complain.

Try finding an old truck....15 years plus. Mechanically speaking, most vehicals between 15 to 20 years old are very mechanically simple. You could lower you insurance considerably.

6. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

Whats up with that??

I am 18, we will have 6 trucks this season (3 99-2000 chevy k2500's , 2 93-95 gmc 3500HD's and an 89 chevy c1500) and on the new 2500's its only $575 per year for full covrage on just about any driver we hire. This is with Erie Ins.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Ill trade you a good insurance rate for
    your young yrs. I WISH

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh, what's your driving record like pcs?

9. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

A young man here in town doing lawn care told me he finally had to have all his business in his dad's name to get liability insurance. All the companies said had to be minimum of 18.

10. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Randy, I have one seat belt ticket. But I talk to another insurance agent a he said all rate are built in with one speeding ticket or seat belt ticket. Because of that ticket my rate should have only gone up 5 percent.