Belgard pavers over slab

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mcclureandson, Jan 27, 2008.

1. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Backyard patio I've got scheduled in the next couple of weeks has an existing slab. New construction (+/- 3yrs old) with no sign of cracks or settling. The new patio will extend about 4-5 feet past the edge of existing concrete slab. I'd like to glue my soldier course (NO parallel glue lines - might help that part of slab drain water?) using a thicker paver and set the interior pattern on sand. Patio outside of existing slab would be on traditional compacted base.

I'm trying to save myself the expense/trouble of taking up existing concrete. It can't be more than a couple hundred square feet but if I can save on labor, dump fees, extra excavation and extra base..

I've done about a dozen paver jobs - will follow established practices to the letter.

Anyone see any problems with this?

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Is the current concrete patio sloped or is it level, if it is sloped then its a good thing. Only problem that I see could arise is if you don't compact enough at the edge of the slab, you will see a split line in a year or so. Make sure it is compacted well. Something else you could do is carry your geo-textile up and over the concrete to prevent further settling. Always run your bond line in the same direction as the water flow. Ideas is to let the water drain. If you run a bead perpendicular to the water flow it has nowhere to go. Personally I wouldn't bond the brick on the end between the concrete pad and extension, it isn't going anywhere. I would only bond the sides and top section if it isn't already against a foundation wall.