Belgium Blocks installation and pricing.....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RLS2005, Sep 28, 2005.

1. RLS2005

RLS2005 LawnSite Member

I have done belgium block edging only once before when I worked for someone else. I guess that I just wanted to see exactly how people install it. When I did it before, all I did was dig and edge a little bigger than the block itself, tamp it down, use sand to level it out and then just place the blocks...and fill in with sand in between all the blocks. I know that some people use something in between to connect the blocks. Do you have to do that? I am basically going to be using just for edging beds. My cost per block is $2.97 ($3.15 w/tax), I know that I have to include extra topsoil and sand which I dont see being that much more. I need to do approximately 112' (using 10"-12" blocks need approx 135 pieces). For my cost I am coming up with -$425.23 for blocks only....then I would have to guess no more than $75 for sand and topsoil. Which would bring me to around $500. My next question is...I did a search on pricing and I saw anywhere from $11-$28 per foot. Even at only $11 per foot I would be charging $1232. Am I figuring this out right? It seems pretty expensive. I mean dont get me wrong, I mght actually end up charging $15 per foot. I just wanted to make sure my train of thought was right, as far as pricing and installation. Am I missing something? Or is there just that much profit in this type of job? Any help and info on installation and pricing would be very helpful...thanks in advance.

2. RLS2005

RLS2005 LawnSite Member

Any feedback at all??
  3. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

you are missing a big something... MORTAR

They make a special tool to create the curved mortar joints that should be installed in between each block. They should also be mortared to a bed of concrete to prevent frost heave. It is a time consuming process, hence the expensive prive per foot.
    It also seems to me you are paying a lot for material. I installed a bunh of this when I worked on long island. We could buy them for a buck a block. I'd check around.
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a wide range of methods of installing these. There is a wide range of size and shape of cobble blocks. There is a wide range of how well a cobble border is laid out. There is a wide range of how nicely flowing the edge comes out. There is a wide range of how nicely the top of the edging flows.

That is why there is a wide range of pricing on this type of work.

Now you have to figure out where YOUR materials, YOUR methods, YOUR craftsmanship, and YOUR market fall into that range.