1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

below freezing temps

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I put my zip code in and the low tonight said only 34 PGI is 39 and Bill's Lawn is about as far north of me as you are east of me or about 8 miles. His area said 32 tonight.

Weather is always a crap shoot. All the forcasts in the world are not going to keep us from freezing. The tomato farmers are Praying their neighbor's crop freezes while theirs survives to be worth more money. When I was in the nursery business I prayed for about the same thing.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

The second night after a front passes is almost always the coldest. There is high cloudiness right now. And there was at 3am as well and it still got down to freezing. If the sky clears tonight the temp will sink like a rock after sunset. It's still a little breezy right now, but if it calms down in the evening there will be quite a bit of frost. I think Tuesday morning may be the really frosty one though. If this front had come through last month it might have compared to 83, 85 or 89. Especially if it had come in on a full moon.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Keith

You still have high clouds down that way? It sure is here in north central. Wind out of the southwest??? None of this seems conducive to frigid air. I guess they know what they are talking about. But I'm not going to cover anything else up.
  5. Keith

I guess that was an anomaly. Wind is out of the north. The quicker it switches to NE, the better off we will be. 4:30pm, lots of clouds though.
  6. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

I think it will be a hard freeze tonight. 8:15 and it's already 33 deg. Not a cloud in the sky. Going to turn on the last irrigation zone and run overnight to keep pipes from freezing. I think it might get down to 20-22.
  8. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

31.5 degrees at 10pm looks like a long hard freeze tonight
  9. Keith

Still 41F here at my place. High clouds cleared out, but have moved back over after 10 pm. Not much breeze, but it's out of the east now. Humidity is up to about 70%.
  10. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida