below freezing temps

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

If my next door neighbor had grass like that brown mess to the right I'd build a wall too.:usflag:

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Or Florida people laughing at you running around Naked in the Middle of Winter.

3. myblacktruck

myblacktruck LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Thats funny almost made me spit my pizza up:laugh:

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

That is actually a conservation lot to the right of me, not that with the amount of foreclosures that we have had in recent years has not made me want to build walls around some of them. That conservation lot is suppose to increase the value of my home, however I have found that it is essentially a breeding grown for common Bermuda that wants to make its way into my St. Augustine.:confused:

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Managed to get down to 32.5F No sign of any damage at my house. Well, couple of weeds in the Captiva got burned. Saw lots of burned bermuda around while driving. I'd like to have a couple more of these before it turns hot.

6. be happy you got those temps....we only had 46 which does nothing to the grass and plants.....

at this time of year, i just dont see any more cold snaps happening...i hope i get proved wrong.....

7. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

last night in jacksonville, we bottomed out at 18 with frost. my yard turned back to mostly brown. its currently 32 with more frost in the forecast.whatever was still green will probably be brown tomorrow. was hoping for an early start to the 2012 season, but now i have to wait a few weeks for my lawns to recover. at least this last freeze might help with the mosquitos that have still been out, since we was below freezing for at least 12 hours.

8. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I believe the statistical no freeze date here is March 15 - so we have a possibility for another month. Don't see it happening but with the north having such a mild winter - they very well could get a cold front that hits us as well in March.

The last round from what I have seen has not did much damage. I am getting ready to leave the house for the first time since the freeze so I will see more today.

In edit. The best thing it has done for us is lower the ground/soil temp....soil is currently sitting at 59 degrees....not idea for our southern turf vigor.