Belt adjustment on a Metro 48 Gear Drive

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by RoewMow, Mar 2, 2002.

1. RoewMow

RoewMow LawnSite Member

We just bought a Lazer Z and a Metro 15hp Kaw 48" mower. The dealer did not have a manual available (dealer trade) and we need to adjust the tension on the drive belts(both mowers have less than 2 hrs on them). We have too much slack and need to adjust so that we don't have so much slippage. We look forward to years of relaible service on these mowers.
  2. RoewMow

RoewMow LawnSite Member

I guess I should be a little clearer. The Lazer had a manual and the dealer is mailing us the one for the metro. We only need to know how to adjust the drive belts on the metro nothing with the decks etc.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

You probably just have to make an adjustment to the wheel drive linkages. Do you have a pistol grip Metro or an ECS handle Metro? If you have a pistol grip Metro, move the drive levers to the drive position. What is the distance from the clevis pin that runs through the drive linkage rod to the bottom of the slot on the thumb latches? Is the pin just resting on the bottom of the slot? Do the park brakes work? Are you running a stand-on sulky on these units? Reply to this post when you get a chance, and we'll work from there.

Exmark Customer Support
  4. RoewMow

RoewMow LawnSite Member

Answers to your questions:

ECS model

Yes I am running a sulky but at times the mower won't even go on the trailer with me pushing......hard.

The belts look to have excessive slack when in neutral or park.

Yes the parking brakes work.

A manual would make things easier, but our dealer (Clermont County Equipment in Milford, Ohio) has yet to send it.

We may end up taking it back to him for adjustment as he had everything set up when we bought it. Including the mounting of the sulky.

BTW does exmark sell covers for both machines, or is EW Chapps the best route for those.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

6. eXmark

There are couple things you can do. The first thing we want to do is check to make sure the ECS drive levers are in the correct position. When you release the drive lever, it should be just below the notch in the thumb-latch. This notch is located just below the roller.

Here is what it says in the Operator's Manual. "Thread in until the flat edge of the drive lever aligns with the bottom of the roller notch in the neutral lock/park brake latch when the 5/16-18 x 1 3/4 hex cap screw is inserted through the hole in the drive lever and the hole in the balljoint." Sounds simple, huh?

Do you want me to send you the Operator's Manual? I can send it out today, if you e-mail me your address at, or you can download it from our web site ( Just make sure that you provide me with the serial number of your Metro.

If you determine that the drive levers are properly adjusted, we may have to change the drive belt tension, but I don't want to do that until we are 100% sure that the drive levers are correctly set. Adjusting the drive belt tension isn't difficult. All your doing is moving the pulley down to put more tension on the drive belt.

All of these adjustments are difficult to describe in words. It would help if you had the Operator's Manual. If you could take it in to the Dealership, that would be our best option to get this thing fixed right. If you can get a Manual, I think you could make this adjustment. E-mail me when you get a chance.

Talk to you later,

Exmark Customer Support
  7. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

i had a problem with my metro and hills. it was the pulley on the bottom of the mower. it had come loose and when i put tenison back on it drove fine. it is kind of hard to get to and 2 people make it alot easier. its the pulley right behing the engine, you can see the carrage bolt and the slot from above.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It is the transmission belt that needs to be tightened. There is a bolt between the motor and the transmission on the mower. Loosen it and tighten the belt. Simple fix takes like 20 seconds to fix your problem.

LAZERMAN LawnSite Member

I've always tightened the belt by loosing the nut on the idler pully just slightly and then taking a falt screwdriver or punch, witch is closest at the time, and bump the top of the carrage but until the belt gits tight but not too tight, because that will to much strain on the belt and make it break or strech faster..
  10. eXmark

Hi Guys,

Here's how determine if it is the transmission belt or the drive belts to the wheels.

When you are going up the hill and the mower stops moving due to belt slippage look at the output shafts of the transmission. If the output shafts to the drive belts are turning and the wheels aren't then the drive linkages need adjusted.

If the transmission outputs are not turning then the transmission belt is slipping and the carriage belt must be loosened and the tension adjusted. When tensioning the transmission belt be careful not to over tension. The recommended speck is only 3lbs at 1/2" of belt deflection. That really means that if you pull on the belt it should only move 1/2" with 3lbs of pull. Over tensioning this belt can in time damage the bearings for the transmission input shaft.