1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Belt came off on new Ferris 1500z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmeister, Apr 15, 2005.

1. grassmeister

grassmeister LawnSite Member

I just got a new Ferris 1500z and after using it 1 time the belt that drives the blades came off of one of the pulleys. The dealer said he would come by and have it fixed, but I was just a little concerned over why this would happen, particularly after only 0.2 hours. Is this unusual and should it be of concern?
  2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

It could of just been out of adjustment or a pulley is loose. They'll fix it but if it happens again i would want a new mower.
  3. jayandlo

jayandlo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Grassmeister, the same thing happened to me, but even worse. After the belt came off it got caught in my clutch. The dealer was great and replaced the clutch and both belts. I don't think that the belts were tightened enough. I think I'll check mine regularly, since they'll probably stretch under constant use.
  4. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

Same problem but it happened twice once on the blade drive and one on the actual drive belt. Then I had a hydr leak behind one of the wheels. Third time it has been in the shop and it has 4 hours on it. But the second one I bought has not had any problems.
  5. grassmeister

I just hope this isn't going to be an ongoing problem. Does this typically happen every once in a while? It seems pretty hard to get back on for Ferris'.
  6. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

Is that on a 1500Z? I haven't had any problems except for a flat front wheel. It was over-inflated by the dealer and I blew the bead. I got it back on but it seems to have a slow leak. Probably some dirt in the beqad when I put it back on.
  7. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps you bent the bead and it now has a small kink in it. Try deflating it and putting a sealer around it, then reinflate it. You could also remove the valve stem and put an inner tube in it if it continues to be a problem.
  8. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

Yeah, I was in a hurry so I blew it back up. I should have removed and cleaned it. The mower is at my other property so when I came back the following week, it had lost pressure.

Anyone know of a solid-wheel option or is that a bad idea?
  9. grassmeister

My dealer came by and put it back on. But as we looked at it, I came up with a theory of why it happened. I cut it using the lowest height setting - 1.75". They advertise that it will go down to 1.5", but oddly, the holes for 1.5" and 1.25" are missing, even though there's room for them. I noticed that when the deck is set at a more typical cut height, the belt is relatively level from the rear of the mower to the deck. However, at the low setting the deck is lower than where the belt is on the rear of the mower and it looks like there's some upward tension on the belt at that height, increasing the chances that it will come off the pulley. Perhaps that's why they didn't drill the holes for the lower settings. Maybe the belt came off more frequently at those heights. I'm not sure if this is a common setup with other ZTRs, but it seems like it may be a recurring issue if I mow at that height. Just a theory, but it seems logical. Anyone have similar issues?
  10. ZH Turf Man

ZH Turf Man LawnSite Member

Mine is still in the shed waiting for its first mowing job but I will be mowing much higher than what you are, probably at 2.75 or 3 inches. I will let you know how it does at that height.