1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Belt Dressing !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Aug 28, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just sprayed my drive belts with automotive style belt dressing. The dealer told me a while back, that it wouldn't help any.

It made a world of difference - the Toro pulls A LOT better now,...

Just wondering if anyone else tried this before.
  2. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If the belts slip in the first place, there is a problem that needs to be resolved. Belt dressing is just a temporary fix. I think your dealer is right.

Just my opinion.

3. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i always heard it dries them out and makes them crack.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't hurt, and CERtainly helps the performance. As a matter of fact, I would say that it would probably help with the life of the belt, also, as it keeps the belts from slipping. All it takes is just a squirt on about an inch of the belts, and it gets spread around. Be careful though, because when you first apply it, your mower will literally want to "JUMP" when you release the handles. Be prepared!!! Especially around cars and such. I always recommended this for efficiency, especially if your pulling a sulky. The mower is just alot more responsive.:cool:
  5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

How often, and when do you know to do this?Will this increase or decrease the life of the belts? Thanks.:rolleyes:
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have done the belt dressing thing and it does make a difference.

but then, after alot of belt dressing and a set of new belts that didn't pull any better than the old, I replaced the drive pulleys.

guess what...took the new belts off, put the old belts back on and it pulls like new!

if you got a new belt machine and it needs belt dressing to perform, IMHO, that aint a good sign!

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i use belt dressing on my 52" and 62" Walker decks and it has definately improved the "grip" of the belts.

I also use it on my older drive units and am very pleased.

a little goes a long way....
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, a little does go a long way.

I've added a lot of weight to my Toro, beacuse of the sliding problem - it handles much better now. Before it pulled very good, but it steers better now.

Because of the extra weight, the steering felt heavy. Now with the dressing, it handles like it did before.
  10. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

I would say if you have slipping belts it is one of two things. The drive system is a bad design and there isn't enought wrap on the pulleys or your pulleys are worn out. When a pulley wears out or starts to spread the surface area in contact is reduced therefore reducing the amount of grip a belt has. Hope this helps.