Belt dressing.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liberty Lawncare, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I decided to spray the belts on my mower with belt dressing the other day when the grass was real wet. :D Wow it works great the belts are super stickey now.
    It doesent take alot just a little goes a long way. It will be something I will do on a regular basis now.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just be careful, because when you first do it, (it only takes about 1-2 seconds of spray on each side of the belt), it is extrememly sensitive. You let out your handles, and the machine literally "jumps" into motion. The same applies for turning around cars or structures. Stuff happens fast!

3. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

Could someone please explain what belt dressing is?

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

That spray on adhesive works better, a can cost about $5 at wal-mart and last a yr or two. it does'nt need to be applied as often as dressing does.

Mac

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

before I changed tranny drive pulleys, I used to use the stuff.

but after changing the drive pulleys, no more need for belt dressing.

GEO :)

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Are you applying dressing to a belt drive deck or to a belt drive that propels the mower? The Deere 430 I used to use had a deck belt that would slip sometimes. Never really thought of using belt dressing. Wish I had come to this site back then.

7. Liberty Lawncare

I used it on all the belts. The spray can stuff it works real good and lasts so far two weeks.
    Simsy it makes the belt real stickey. like pine tar on a bat. It says on the can that it makes the belts last longer also.
    Runner yea it really makes the machine jumpy at first :blob3: only put on a little bit.

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

just a thought..
    it would make the belts last longer, but what about the stress it puts on the other components like the pulleys, tranny, etc. sort of like putting slicks on a race car... hook too nice and you blow the tranny or rear. I bought some dressng some weeks back but haven't had to use it yet, just figuerd might need it someday.

9. Liberty Lawncare

fga I dont think it will hurt any other parts. Havent broken anything on my lesco yet. I noticed in really thick wet grass the blades seem to chop clippings up better.
    The drive belts work much better with a full bag when going up steep hills.

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Can you still slip one side when turning or both sides if you need to run a little slower like on a berm or something?