1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Belt Drive and my Hands

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RobH, May 12, 2003.

1. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I own a 48" Scag W/B. It has a 17 Kawi on it and it is a belt drive. The machine cuts great, but squeezing the levers puts a lot of strain on my hands.

I read a lot of posts that discuss how a Hydro is so much easier to use. Is a Hydro a lot easier on the hands? I am not to familiar with the controls of a Hydro.

I am really fanatical about my lawn and I bought the machine to cut my yard and to cut my father's yard. It only has about 12 hours on it.

I would probably take a beating on it if I were to trade it in now. If I were to trade it it in I would only be looking at Exmark and Scags. I know there are many great machines out there, but these two brands have tons of dealer support in my area.

Should I just suck it up and deal with it? Do you think I could get a good trade in value or should I wait since I just bought the machine late last fall.
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check the owner's manual about adjustments for the control levers. You may very well be able to adjust the return/tension springs for less tension, possibly a lot less tension.

Depending on how a hydro wb is set up, many of them have return/tension springs similar to belt drives, so there isn't a whole lot of difference.

Plus, it's a great workout for your forearms!

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

as for the ease of operation for the hydro vs. belt, I dunno.

but my opinion on the strain in your hands is get used to it. it should get better over time no more than you are doing.

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

If your hands are hurting this bad when only using thw machine for about an hour at a time something doesn't sound right. I can understand the fatigue in the hands after a day of use but not such a short period. Maybe something is out of adjustment.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would call the dealer, as mowing one lawn should not hurt your hands even if you have never done this before. Depending on what the dealer says and if you were serious on trading the machine in I would demo what you are interested in to prevent this from happening again.

6. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

If you are only doing TWO lawns yours and your dads--- HIRE someone to do them and relieve your hands.
  7. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Actually, I am one of those homeowners that really enjoys cutting the lawn. I have a full-time office job and I look forward to working outside in the yard on weekends.

I do work out everyday and I am in very good shape. I should also add that my hands don't hurt for days on end, but they do feel sore after operating the machine for about 2 plus hours. I know the the control levers are really far away from the handles, so maybe I can adjust them somehow to make it easier to control.

I used to work for a landscaping company years back and he had a Kees belt drive that was very easy to operate. He also had a Bobcat that was pretty worn down and the levers were very far away from the handles, meaning that I had to really widen my hand to grab the lever.
  8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Rob: I have a 52Lesco wb that had the same problem. I got out

my Toro parts book ordered a T bar. Replaced pistol grips with

a Toro T bar. About 250. My Lesco was in Turf North April 03.

no more sore hands. Ed
  9. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

You should be able to adjust those grips so it is much less of a reach for your hands. This should help a bit. If not think of it as a new workout exercise.
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Adjust or trade for a HYDRO ;)