Belt drive Bobcat broken gear box

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by STAN1366, Aug 15, 2004.

1. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

The gear box input shaft on my belt drive Bob cat snapped in 1/2. Is there any company that supplies just the shaft? I don't really want to replace the entire gear box as the rest of it is OK.
    Thanks

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i think JThomas has a breakdown of one if i remember.

http://www.j-thomas.com/Catalog/009.htm

here's a link to the page, but you'd have to ask them about the shaft by itself. good luck.
    if you find a supplyer for what you need, let me know cuz i have the same machine. i have no problems with it but it would be good to know.

3. STAN1366

Thanks Adam. I should have mentioned J Thomas. Their price for the gearbox is $259. It's on pages 12 & 13 actually. Landscapers Supply has it for $180 and they're only 30 mins from me. I think the stress on the shaft was cause by using the Velke for a few years. The mower is 10 yrs old and in pretty good shape, but a hydro would be better suited to using the Velke. I bought a Lazer HP last year and only use the Bob Cat where the rider won't go. I'm hoping someone out there knows where I can pick up just the shaft.

Dennis

4. STAN1366

Just to let you know, I ordered the gearbox from J Thomas. Had it in 3 days. Landscapers Supply is STILL backordered 4 weeks later. Screw them. I decided not to just try and replace the shaft since if any other parts were worn I'd only have to go thru it again and the time isn't worth it.

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

did you put it on yet? is that a PITA job?

6. STAN1366

No, I haven't put it on yet. Since it's raining I guess I should instead of jerking off on lawnsite, huh? I'll let you know how easy it is. Only thing that might be tough is getting the bearings from the shaft ends off and on the new output shafts. I've got my own press so it shouldn't be a problem, but there's always "Murphy's Law", right? :help: