1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Belt Drive Exmark Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&GLandscaping, May 27, 2011.

1. B&GLandscaping

B&GLandscaping LawnSite Member

Has anyone else had trouble with the drive belts slipping off the pulleys? And thus engaging the brake(s). Then this smashes my fingers bc it engages the brake lever also. This happens even when the belts arent wet. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated, bc its a pain to have to keep putting them back on.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like your belts are too loose. Break out the owner's manual and adjust them to specs. I had a Metro and the belts coming off wasn't one of the many problems it had.
  3. B&GLandscaping

B&GLandscaping LawnSite Member

Yeah only if I had a manual to go with it. Thanks for the insight though!
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

What issues did you have with the metro? I was thinking about picking a new metro or bobcat 36 up tomorrow.
  5. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Internet can find all
  6. Richard Martin

It's been a while so I can't remember everything. Some of the issues were:

1: Spindles kept going bad after a couple/few hundred hours.
    2: The deck cracked on the right hand side where the flat piece of steel that attaches the deck to the tractor frame is welded.
    3: The safeties starting going out at about 1,000 hours or so.
    4: There wasn't a way to keep gumballs from getting stuck in the drive pullies on the wheels. Every time a gumball would get stuck it would pop the belts off. My Ferris belt drive has a "comb" (for lack of a better word) that prevents this.
  7. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys aren't talking about the 21" Exmark are yuh?
  8. Richard Martin

No. The belt drives. 36", 48" etc...
  9. Richard Martin

Fine tuning belts is almost an art. It takes practice and experimenting. If you get it right then belt drives are fine. If you get it wrong then you'll be on Lawnsite next week complaining that belt drives suck. Most people get it wrong. The best place to start is by reading about it. I can't explain how to do it and get it right.
  10. Bajany

Bajany LawnSite Member

The Exmark website has a list of free, downloadable manuals for their equipment. Find the one that matches your machine and you should be able to sort out your problem. Sounds a if a proper step by step adjustment/set-up may solve most of your problem. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device