Belt Drive or Single Hydro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mc24034, Apr 16, 2007.

1. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

Ive got a Quick 36. It is single hydro. I do like the Quick 36 but hills are not so fun at angles. My question is for anyone that has had plenty of hours experience with similar units. Im in need of another 36" for a 2nd crew.

Price wise, 36 Scag belt is 2900$ and Quick 36 is $2700. For 200$ is it a better buy? Also for durability? Thanks in advance for all your advice.

2. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

bump bump bump

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't you just change your angle of mowing ?? As far as durability , the Quick is every bit as good as the SCAG. IMHO

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree with the statement that a Quick is in the same level of reliability as a Scag....the Scag is by far a much better machine for the long haul heavy durability high use environment. If the Quick guys would like for me to product test their machine send it down and we will put in on one of our crews and see how it does.

5. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I've owned a Ferris 32" single hydro and a Ferris 36" belt drive mower. I like the belt drive better. It's too hard to turn a single hydro machine. Also, I have to admit I've never tried a Quick 36.

6. larryslawn

larryslawn LawnSite Member

I have a 36" scag belt drive that i abuse all the time this thing is tough. I just started last season so most of my job's are ones other Lco's pass on. after i do them i see why. but my scag is a tank and has a good cut to. that is my 2 cent's

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a SD Ferris 36" a couple of years ago. It performed so poorly on the scenarios that you described that I bought a Ferris 36" belt drive just for hills and stuff like that. Now the SD stays at home and the belt drive gets to go everywhere. The belt drive may not back up as well as the SD but everything else it does is superior.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If you are cutting hills at angles and you are unhappy with the Quick 36, you should probably get a dual hydro instead of a belt drive in my opinion.

9. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

I appreciate all the responses. I personally really like the Quick 36... I just wanted to know if for 200$ if the Scag, Exmark, or anything else belt drive would be worth it. I mow 125 properties in the city that with 2 guys can be mowed, trimmed and blown in 10 minutes. So these yards arent big. Let me know. Thanks again.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

With that many properties pay the extra $200 and get the Scag or Exmark they are heavy duty and will far outlast other units.