Belt drive owners

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ron mexico75, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

So in that case, would it drive fine on flat ground and just not climb hills good? Or, if it's a pulley, it would drive like crap regardless of the slope?

2. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Belt might be stretched out, try adjusting the idler pulley for the drive belt. Replace the belt with a new one if the pulley adjustment doesn't help.

3. ron mexico75

Well, all comments much appreciated. I just called the shop and explained the issue. How I payed a higher per hour service charge just 2 weeks ago for expidited service rather then waiting 14 days etc etc, and the issue is still there. Feels better then before but not 100%.

The guy understood and said bring it in first thing Monday. Will not charge any labor, just parts if in fact it needs parts.

I feel a little better. Just hope they can get it figured out.

4. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Did you try spraying belt dressing on your belts? If your belts slip this stuff makes them grab, can buy it at pep boys.

5. ron mexico75

Well, just an update. I cut recently with it again and it was totally stopping on little inclines. I had to squat down and literally push it to get it to start moving. Took it back into the shop and advised them this is the 4th time I’ve been in with this same issue. He said they would make it right and take it out to cut on a slope if they had to.

The entire area at the dealer is flat and like I said, the mower is totally fine on flat ground. It will even go up the trailer ramp fine. It’s when it’s on grass and going up the smallest degree of incline that it starts acting up.

It’s just frustrating. I’m very anxious to see if they can find out what causing it, get it fixed or even duplicate what I'm describing.

6. ron mexico75

Anyone want to place bets as to what the issue is?

It can't be but a few things right?

7. ron mexico75

Well.........I picked it up yesterday and guess what...........................................................................the freaking transmission belt was loose!!!!!

All that waiting and taking it in 4 different times and nobody ever thought to check that? The guy said it was so loose he couldn't believe it. Who the heck was checking it out those other 3 times? The night time janitor?

I haven't had a chance to cut up an incline yet but I will this afternoon.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Transmission belt.

Well, I see now you have learned about that.

For future reference, this is one of the 10 things to check before bringing it to the dealer.
    Fix it yourself, save you headaches, hours, and dollars.

9. ron mexico75

Oh yeah you got that right, definitely learned!

I cut with it yesterday and it was like the first day I bought it. Pulled like an ox versus pulling like a wet noodle.