Belt Drive Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been reading about how much better hydro is over belt. So far I have found that a hydro will do better on hills, better when wet, and it will cause less fatigue from tugging on the mower. The thing I don't understand is about the reversing. Belt drives have reverse also. Do they just not work as well in reverse or what? Why does a hydro work better in reverse?

Thanks...

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i guess they mean not all belt drives have reverse.
    My bobcat has the variable speed transmission, no reverse. My brother's encore has 5 speed and reverse. I don't have a hydro, but maybe they all come with reverse, as opposed to just some of belt drives. I could be wrong, just an educated guess.

3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

a hydro you just pull the control handles all the way bac and you are in reverse compared to shifting

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Do you mean trigger handles? If you pull them back to go back, how do you brake? or do you mean that t bar handle?

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

My understanding is that hydro walk-behind mowers actually go in reverse when you put it in reverse, even if you're backing uphill. I can tell you that the exmark metro's reverse gear will back you up on flat ground or if you're backing down a hill, but if you have to back up a hill? Fuggeddaboudit.

As for the controls to put a mower in reverse, I'm not sure Billy's comment about applies to all mowers. My impression of the exmark ECS system is that you still have to shift into reverse before the ECS handles will take you in reverse. Pistol grip machines will certainly not pull you in reverse without shifting.

Other manufacturers are different, but I'm not sure which ones give you reverse without having to mess with a shifter.

6. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

SCAG belt drives have reverse assist. You have to shift it to R and if you push down on the handles it works a little better

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

It's called reverse "assist" because it's virtually nonexistant. You'll have big fun when you operate your first hydro after using a belt drive. In a panic, you'll pull the grips all the way back and run over yourself!

8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Tharrell, Thats pretty funny. The sad part is that I can see myself doing that a time or two when I decide to get a hydro w/b

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Hydro has a direct reverse. Belt drives have reverse assist. You have to pull backwards on the handles to get it to back up. In my opinion, unless you are on flat ground it is next to useless. There is a reason for it though. To go into reverse assist on a belt drive you have to release the controls, which means you could get crushed by the mower if you couldn't get your hands back on the controls to stop the mower. On a hydro, you simply squeeze the controls to reverse the mower, if you were to get into trouble you just release the handles. Polar opposite methods of operation. The OPC on most mowers would prevent the mower from running down the block. I dont think it would shut the mower down fast enough in a tight spot.

10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my Bob-Cat belt drive mower, and yes, it has reverse!!!!!!!!!!